add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this a good $600 budget build?

Jonny2016
  • 71 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $84.73 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI A88XM GAMING Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case $27.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $46.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $584.64

If you think you can make a better one, please do so and explain why. Keep the case the same if you do change it. The Windows doens't have do be included.

NOTE: I edited it since the first post

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Spending 120 bucks on a case when you have a budget of 600 is kind of ridiculous. I would consider switching to a smaller and cheaper case first and foremost.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

get a cheaper hard drive

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

What will be the main purposes of this build? If you give us an idea of your needs, we could help more specifically.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming. I want it to run games like COD, Battlefied, Skyrim, Fallout etc on high graphic settings

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a really challenging price point with the wireless card and blu-ray drive included. Here's what I came up with.

Would you be willing to switch to an ITX motherboard that has integrated wireless? That would save you quite a bit, in exchange for a slightly more cramped build. Then you could spend the extra money on your graphics card for something like this (I also found another cheap case that may be worth considering). http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gHMRgs

The other option would be giving up the blu-ray drive. To switch to a DVD drive, you could save enough to get a better processor and graphics card, though the gpu is not quite as good as the one in the above build (also, in a situation with 4 memory slots, it probably makes more sense to get a 2x4GB kit). http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WKtjNG

If you would give up wireless you could have the best of both builds. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kNCjNG

Finally, if you give up wireless and switch to a DVD drive, you could get an even better graphics card than that last build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XRWxbv

These are the solutions I came up with that would get you some more bang for your buck. Only the first one keeps all of your capabilities though.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

So much to choose from. Thanks for your help!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

May be able to get away with a cheaper Optical Drive as well.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This is the cheapest i could do that has Blu Ray

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube