add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need opinions on a good CPU/MOBO/Mid Tower Case Combo!

Salvage
  • 72 months ago

Hello, so I am in the middle of trying to decide what type of cpu, mobo, and mid tower case to buy. My intent is to get medium-high components for gaming.

Things that I do? -I play Games like Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, and Smite. - I might be doing video editing once in a while, but very rarely. - I will be doing school work. - I might be streaming games like the one's that I previously mentioned.

For CPU's, I found the i5-4690k and the amd fx 6300 which both appear to be good, but I can't decide which is the better choice? I also need a compatible MOBO for the CPU and a mid tower case that will work for college dorms.

My total budget won't allow me to exceed past $400 for the CPU/Mobo/Mid Tower Case together.

I appreciate your time and all the help, open to all opinions. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard *Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $163.98 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $402.97
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria

That's two of what I have seen that appear to be good, but the price is too high.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Go to your build and click "Export/whateverelse it says" and copy and paste that into your description.

On a side note, how is Smite?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I imported two of what I have.

Smite is a great 3D version of a MOBA and I believe it is highly underrated , you should give it a try.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking of it, but then I glanced at the new SR for LoL and said no, but I might download it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't really feel like a MOBA to be honest, more of like playing WoW and having to defend towers.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the nice list of recommendations.

Do you know of any other CPU that has relative performance to the 4690? Are any of the AMD CPU's (such as the 6300)good?

And the cases look nice, but I need one in particular to be less than $70.

Also, the GPU I will be using is a gtx 570.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the 4690. It offers the best price to performance ratio of any Intel processor at the current time for gaming purposes. I'm not one to promote AMD so I wouldn't be the one to ask about their products.

You should focus on total budget, not an arbitrary budget that you set for each individual part, which is unrealistic. Additionally, you have to weigh on the fact that you may need to spend more than $300 total for a quality case, mobo, and CPU that fit your needs. Otherwise, you may be skimping on quality for one or two of those items.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case, I'd like to try to get the CPU/MOBO/Mid Tower Case to be less than $400.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This is more realistic and $100 extra goes a very long way for these three components.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I will consider it.

I understand that the extra $100 will be beneficial for the long run, but was hoping that I could find a similar alternative that wouldn't go that high.

College is expensive and this computer is a must for me right now.

Thanks again, robtimism.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube