add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Never did more than add memory to a computer before...

But my old Dell 530 died and I need a new computer. I'm not a gamer and was reasonably okay with my old computer. My uses are surfing, using MS Office, and apps related learning website creation. I'm 52 and average a computer every 5 years - but I'm sort of curious about gaming (just don't have tons of free time).

So far this is what I've come up with. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/29xXYJ My parts price at Microcenter is $594.94. I want to go there because they're within an hour of me and I'd like to try doing this over my long weekend. My goal is to try to stay under $600.

I intend to reuse my old hard drive for a month or two until I can buy a Samsung SSD. I also intend to reuse my Windows 7 32-bit license.(Question) If I'm making a big mistake trying to use my old drive for a short period until I can replace it with a SSD, please tell me.

Anyhow, probably the biggest reason I'm making a computer vs buying one at Walmart is that I totally love the Lian Li cube case - the zippier pc is a BIG plus. I'm doing the matx format.

(Questions)
Beyond, please let me know if you see anything really bad with my choices...
Lian Li's case comes with three fans [System Fan (Front) 120mm Fan x 2, System Fan (Rear) 80mm Fan x 1]. Are those sufficient for cooling with an i5 if I don't add a video card?
Would they be sufficient for cooling if I were to add an inexpensive, small ASUS video card later (<$100)? Being used to a dull desktop - am I going to feel like I have a server next to me with these three fans running? Would I benefit from adding a fan controller in a reduction of noise?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I know I'm not one of your ranks, and I appreciate your time.

Thanks, Will

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/urvianoob/saved/cgLwrH

i've created a computer with your case and a apu (cpu and gpu combined) that can both work on Microsoft Office and game at a reasonable price. If your gaming library is starting to expand and your computer performance starts to increase, you can upgrade it with little to no hassle with a r7 265 [http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r72652gd5oc] the hard drive is just there, feel free to remove it if you have no need for it.

PS: I highly suggest using a 64bit version of windows. It performs much better than the 32bit version, and can utilize all 8gb of memory.

I believe the cooling in this computer would be pretty good. It would definitely be hotter than usual since its in a smaller form factor. But with good cable management and clever fan placement, the PC wouldn't suffer from any overheating issues.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. Windows 8 64 isn't a cash option for me now; however, when threshold or whatever the new windows 9 is called is released at the end of the year, I'll probably upgrade.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For a nice competitive build I'd suggest considering either an AMD FX 6300 or 8320 processor (CPU).

The AMD 6300 is the best budget CPU on the merket, and the 8320 is maybe 15% less good than the i5, while being 50% cheaper.

If you are considering the possibility of a little gaming then either AMD CPU is worth considering.

I personally reckon either is better - the 6300 for versatility and budget, the 8320 for being 'cool and up to date'.

If you'd like to game, but keep your budget get the 6300 and a graphics card.

If you're willing to spend a little more get the 8320 and a graphics card.

the i5 has an integrated graphics card for basic gaming, is a better all round cpu; but I suspect you's be better served by the AMD options. Check out CPU and GPU Boss for comparisons (Google 'compare FX 8320 and Intel i5 4440 or equivalent models to find 'em!)

No right or wrong answer; but the 6300 is the most versatile, the i5 the most solid and the 8320 the best of both worlds.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I'll do a little more comparison. I was going with the i5 mostly out of familiarity with intel's name. Thanks again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube