add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need some helpful advice please.

D-Man276
  • 71 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor £100.79 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard £35.40 @ Aria PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £36.00 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card £129.98 @ Novatech
Case Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case £43.52 @ Ebuyer
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £345.69

I just had some questions about a few of the parts here in order to lower the total price as I am a student and therefore don't have that much access to sweet sweet cash.

Firstly, would I be better off going with an FX-6300 rather than an 8320? I am primarily making this PC to game but do usually have chrome open with 15+ tabs in the background and do like to watch videos and run lots of applications. Would the 8320 be more suited to handling these tasks or would an FX-6300 do the job? (And save me money!)

Secondly, I would like to get a cheaper case if at all possible but still be a good one. If I can save £15 and still have a great case that would be great.

Thirdly, if anyone could recommend a 1080p monitor with 1-2ms response time at £100 or less that would be grand. I have seen some on amazon (BenQ) that have been very highly rated but I don't really know much about them so anyone with advice would be much appreciated.

Fourthly? I would need a PSU that would be able to run all this.

Finally, would the MoBo I have selected at the moment be appropriate for the parts I have selected? If not could someone recommend a better one?

Thanks very much to anyone who takes the time to reply and help me out, it is very very much appreciated.

P.S. I do realise I don't have any RAM selected but that's because I will be using some from my old build.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I've spent some time considering the issues you have.

6 Cores is more than you are likely to use. 8 is overkill. The 8320 is a kick *** CPU that competes with the SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive Intel i5; but the 6300 is sufficient for moderate gamers and most casual PC users. Hardcore users would want the i5. The 6300 is 'good', the 8320 'great' and the i5 'fantastic' for the next 2-4 years.

this site generally alerts to compatibility problems in the build. Your build raises concerns about front USB ports, but when you click on the motherboard there is an option to view compatible parts; so check it out.

Your video card is VERY good; and you could possibly spend less for good results, but it really depends WHAT THE PC IS REQUIRED TO DO. What you gonna use it for? Video / photo / music editing (more cores - 8320). Gaming (Better cores i5, i3), general mix (Versatility - 8320 / 6300).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice!

I should have been more specific, I won't be using this PC for any kind of editing just purely gaming really. I don't foresee myself doing any video editing down the road.

I have seen that the i5's generally have better single threaded performance but won't give that much of an fps increase (I am going for 60fps gaming that doesn't necessarily have to be at ultra settings. I will dip below ultra to achieve 60).

Again, I would go for an i5 but I am trying to keep the price down as money is an issue for me and spending £100 on an AMD processor that more or less is capable of doing what the i5 can do (in terms of not having large frame rate discrepancies) I think I would much rather save the extra £60-£90 i would be saving if I got an 8320 or 6300.

Thanks again for the input!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The FX 6300 is by FAR the best value; the i5 buy FAR the best performance. I'd plump for the 8320 myself - but if the budget starts to swell; the 6300 is good enough out the box, and can be overclocked easily enough.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube