add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm a newbie. Tell me what you think about my list!

commando0427
  • 71 months ago

Hello folks, I just joined this forum today, and after a bunch of reading, I got to finish my list. It's mainly for gaming and I thought it would be a bit cheaper, but since I'm from Canada, it cost me way more than it should compared to the states. It would be better if the price could be lower, but if that's not possible while keeping the specs/low noise, then I don't mind about the price. Anyways, here is my list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/qXqDkL and what do you think about it?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

From the top to save money: Switch the NF F12s to noiseblocker eloops from Aquatuning, that should save you about 5 bucks a fan and not look disgusting. They also perform better than the noctuas. Specifically go for the B12-PS which is the pwm version from 500-1500rpm.

Switch the 140mm fans to either thermalright fdbs, scythe slipstreams, or noiseblocker multiframes.

Switch the Evo to a PNY XLR8 (you'll notice no real world performance difference), that will save you another 30 ish.

Switch the mobo to an Asrock Pro4 and you'll save about 40 bucks ish and will guaranteed get the same overclocks.

There is cheaper ram out there I think, look for a cheaper 2x4gb cl9 1600mhz kit if you want it should shave 10 bucks ish off the price maybe.

PSU you can change to a rosewill hive and save about 30 bucks. You're going to have to use the non modular cables on the psu in either case, so unless you're doing a custom sleeve job for the psu, go for a semi.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with you I need to swap out the fans. I recklessly looked at one build and decided that I need those :/. jhpcsb117 suggested me get rid of all those fans, but are there any significant benefits if I decide to have those fans(B12-PS) installed?

Regarding EVO, I didn't imagine an ssd would get such high rating while there is a cheaper and faster one. It seems like finding good parts with rating isn't a good idea since there're many outdated parts with high ratings. I chose both my ram and psu sorted by rating too :(

And for the mobo, I'll probably go with Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard as jhpcsb117 suggested since I might need the sli support for a future upgrade.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The extra fans will help when it comes to cooling specifically for the GPUs. Having front panel fans that are decent performers can easily knock a few degrees C off the temperatures of your cards, which if you're planning to overclock, does make a considerable difference. As for the fans on the radiator, they help maintain good temperatures but more importantly will control noise levels.

I had an h100i for a good while, and the stock fans are decent, but they get pretty loud. I've switched them to eLoops and even at fulls peed they are not very loud, and considerably quieter than the h100i's sp120ls.

The pro4 motherboard also supports SLI/crossfire but either or will work fine no problem.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see, so the fans still help with temperature regardless of having a liquid cooler. I guess I'll buy one or two to replace my cooler's stock fans and see if I need extra for temperature management.

As for the pro4 motherboard, when I look it up, it says it doesn't support sli here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97pro4 Is this a wrong model? or is there a mistake in the spec?

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming you make the change to a 290 (which by all mean you should) you only need crossfire support.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I was wondering why people were recommending 290 over 770 even though benchmarks were similar on many websites. But after a bit of research, I got to know 290 has 43% more bandwidth and is faster indeed. It sure seems like a better choice than 770.

Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You already have a closed loop cpu cooler, so why are you buying 6 case fans for your gpu which have virtually no impact?

Besides that, part choices look pretty good.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup, I think those fans were a reckless choice. I would probably get rid of them.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks pretty good!

If you want to lower the price you can:

-get the 280X: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9280xdc2t3gd5 cheaper and it brings almost identical performance

-get a cheaper PSU like: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m

-get cheaper/less fans-combine 2 stocks + one for the bottom + one for the front + 2 for the H100

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your suggestions! 280x seems like a good alternative choice, and I would look for a different psu since jhpcsb117's telling me mine doesn't have high enough wattage. Also, that fan layout sounds good too!

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

On a $2000 build, saving $50 by getting a cheaper & less efficient psu that isn't even fully modular, just really isn't a good suggestion. If anything, Id get a better psu from seasonic/XFX.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with Lovroman, the psu is a good option to save over 30 bucks. Fully modular is only useful if you're going to get a custom sleeve job done, otherwise the non modular cables you HAVE to use anyway (24 pin mobo 8 pin eps and a set of pci for gpu).

Getting a better psu isn't going to help him very much. People can make the case that the reduced ripple will mean less wear on components, but that wear is measured over years, and by the time it will have an impact you'll probably have sold it off anyway or switched to something else.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Fully disagree on buying cheap parts due to the possibility of not having them in a few years. Again, this is a $2,000 build not an $800 build. Also submitter said he wanted quieter parts, which nicer psu's offer hybrid modes which turns the psu fan off when not needed.

And I see your build has a $189 kingwin psu. It's pretty obvious you don't practice which you preach on the psu front.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Rosewill Hives have been rated very highly by every site that's used them. HardwareSecrets gave the series a gold award, Guru3d gave it a recommendation, and Anandtech gave it a favorable review.

As for the noise from a psu fan, it's probably the single quietest moving part of an entire system. You're more likely to hear the case fans well before you'll be able to discern the sound of the psu fan.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Lovroman recommended a Corsair psu, so not sure where that oddball rosewell brand come from, but I could link a a far greater number of review sites stating that antec and seasonic are much better choices, albeit more expensive.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thank you for your thorough thoughts on my list! I somehow thought from my past experience if I order everything from the same store, I would save money, but I was totally wrong :/. From this alone, I would save at least a 100.

As for my cooler and fan choice, I referred to this build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/dz8dnQ which uses the same case, and thought I could use the same cooling setup. But now after reading what you said about top mount not being preferred, I can see this isn't an efficient setup.

The motherboard seems like a really nice pickup; I was searching for a motherboard that has sata express for my ssd and supports both crossfire and sli for possible future upgrades, and it seems to perfectly fit my needs! I thought the model I chose was the cheapest one with those options, but it seems like I missed out on this one somehow :/. The ssd looks like a good save as well.

For the gpu, I heard somewhere on this forum that if I have an intel cpu, it's better to go with an nvedia gpu compared to amd gpu. Is this a myth? Also, I've checked these two charts from videocardbenchmark.com: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html, http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Compared to the gtx 770, while the 290 has slightly higher g3d mark, it has a lower direct compute benchmark. Are these charts not accurate representations of how the video cards perform? If not, is there another way to figure out which one has higher performance?

Lastly, for my psu, I looked through this forum for how much wattage I need for this build without posting my list, and at first, I used this website that evaluate my wattage, which told me I only need 450W. Then I read more, and people said for a single gpu, btween 500-700 is fine. Then now I hear from you 650 isn't enough :/. Can you tell me how you came up with this estimate? I think it would come in handy for my future upgrades.

Overall, it seems to be better than my original list in every aspect; while being cheaper, it also seems to be performing better. Buying from different stores and getting rid of the extra fans did a great job on the price (now I know I don't really need them haha) and I really like it! Thank you for your very informative thoughts on my list!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube