add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

mITX w/SATA Express, M.2 that doesn't share lane w/graphics?

chelch
  • 72 months ago

Does this board exist? I love the idea of M.2 in a SFF case, but I don't want it to share the PCIe lane with the graphics card. I think the Asus Z97I-Plus satisfies this but doesn't have a SATA Express port.

I'm trying to future-proof my SFF build. I'd like to start with a 512GB M.2 with the option to add a SATA Express SSD in the future. Sharing lanes kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Do I have to look at mATX?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

My current parts list

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that info about the GPU. I'm still learning about PCIe. The last time I built a computer I installed the video card in an AGP slot.

So with this info, I could go with the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac and the only limit is M.2 length of 42mm which means a max of 128GB probably, although I haven't looked for this length yet...

Or do I have my priorities mixed up? ie. on-board sound, etc.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Upon further investigation the ASRock's M.2 slot is shared with the SATA Express port, and they can't be used at the same time.

So there's no Z97 mITX mobo that offers both M.2 and SATA Express. In this case, I prefer the Asus as it's M.2 Socket 3 supports 80mm SSDs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube