add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My 1st PC Build (Gaming Rig)

mlquickel
  • 72 months ago

This is my 1st rig build ever and so far it has gone pretty smoothly. I am working on a budget of spending as little as possible for a pretty decent gaming rig. Since this is my 1st build constructive criticism is definitely appreciated and welcomed.

The build itself is not completely finished yet, but according to my calculations I should get around 80 FPS playing today's top MMO Games like Elder Scrolls Online & Wildstar on Ultra Graphics Settings. That is awesome for me considering I am use to playing those 2 games with 10-20 fps (avg 15 fps) on lowest graphics settings lol. Yeah my current PC is a real piece of **** & makes my gaming experience less enjoyable and PvP completely out of the damn question. I am not too worried about FPS Gaming on PC, because I do that on console.

If anyone notices some more changes I should make with the build to make it cheaper without sacrificing reliability and/or performance please say so. I want this build to be able to last me a few years at least 2-5 years to be exact, since I am just now starting college and my budget on building a better PC will be pretty much non existent.

Some may ask why I want the fan controller when my case comes with one and my answer to that is because it looks pretty lol. I chose a 5 channel fan controller because 1 the liquid cooler & 2 the built in fan controller only controls 3 fans but the case holds 6 total. I plan on disabling the built in fan controller and using it for something else, maybe speaker volume control by doing a little case customization. I also plan on redoing the one side panel with plexi and venting it so I may add a few more red led fans at a later date, but for now the 2 I have there will go in the front which is one of the only places you will actually see the glow in this case. It says I only need 400w power and I chose a 650 because of price and I will be adding somethings later.

So feel free to post comments I will post picks when i complete the build... Begining Parts List - Future Finished Parts List

Note: All parts w/o a price I already have!

*Update: Due to developments in school funding I have found myself receiving a few extra dollars enabling me to build what I want. SO i included a new parts list called Future Finished Parts, which is what I will be building up to. However I do not want to spend so much right away I will buy parts as I can over time. So I will have no choice but to buy some parts to get the PC in working order and replace them later with what I actually want. So I have it figured out that I will eventually be removing 2 of the fans, the cpu cooler, the ram & the optical drive totaling about a $150 loss if I don't sell them when I am done with them, which I can live with.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a solid build for me but you might want a second hard drive to do backups or run a cloud for all your data just in case. Hope you enjoy as much as I did starting college. :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You're going to get shunned for saying you play FPS on a console in a post on a PC building website :P

For your actual build:

I am assuming the parts without prices you already have. *CPU Cooler: Don't get single 120mm or single 140mm AIO CPU liquid cooling systems. They are a waste of money for their performance. A coolermaster 212 Evo will do the same if not better for half the cost.

*SSD: If you are just putting the OS on it, you don't need that much storage. 120 is more than enough and will allow you to put the things you use most on it. Most games won't take advantage of the SSD and it ends up being a waste for the money. I am assuming that you'll want to save as much money going into college so that will shave about $50 off.

*Fan Controller: Generally speaking you don't connect your CPU fan to one. You connect it to the motherboard, allowing your processor to take control of it. This means the CPU will determine if it needs to spin faster when it's hot and prevents potential hazardous conditions for your CPU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

@QuantumEssence Thank you for the input I decided to go ahead & take your advice on the CPU Cooler. Also made it final by purchasing that & the RAM today.

As for the SSD I sswitched to a Kingston 120g, because your right I do not really need more than that for my OS, a few programs & 1 game. If I do need more room I will just manage until I can purchase another SSD at a later date.

Now to the Fan controller, I have 4 5.25 Bays on the tower & now 6 case fans, because the single fan liquid cooler was going to take up one of the case fan slots. I am very ocd with the way **** looks and organization. I switched my Fans to 140mm's & Fan Controller to a double din NZXT Sentry LX 5 channel & I will let the bottom case fan run with the mobo. Well that is what I am thinking anyway.

My question is do you think I should just go with a single bay 6 channel to control all 6 fans? I plan on changing the dvd writer to a blu ray later & adding a card reader which would fill all 4 bays if I use a double din & appease my damn OCD lol.

Also I am hoping this PC will make me able to play FPS Games without getting my *** kicked simply because my PC is a piece of **** rather than lack of talent, that is the only reason why I choose FPS on console rather than PC.:)

@Hazarded Thank you for your input, I usually use an external for backups & I really didn't think about it. My current external is a 500g which is fine for backing up my current PC, but I think you're right it won't be enough for this PC and everything I plan on adding over the next couple years.

When it comes to backing everything up though, do you think I should get a matching ssd to back up the ssd to or no? I am thinking since I do have 6 drive bays I might end up using 3 SSD's (1 120g for system/security, 1 120g/1 480g for programs/games) & 2 HDD (1 1tb, 1 4tb) for use & 1 3tb HDD for backup. That is if it makes no difference whether or not I backup the stuff on the SSD's to a HDD or not.

• I have changed the links above... The 1st link is what I am currently building, but the second build is what I plan on having when it is all said and done with minimal parts loss.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube