add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1St Build - Any advice?

Flipinfun
  • 72 months ago

I'm trying to build a badass office computer for work and school. I would also like this to be a great entertainment system.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KggRgs

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

It would function fine in all BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GET AN R7 240. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sph6cjJeRdI&list=PL8mG-RkN2uTzA74bsUm0jtijwyHfpxn5E&index=17

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Summed it up pretty well lol

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an h97 or other 97 series motherboard and a haswell or haswell refresh series cpu (i5 4xxx) and you can then ditch the gpu since the CPU graphics are better than that low end graphics card. I'd still keep that size power supply though so you can add a decent video card later if you want (anything below a 270 is not worth bothering with as the CPU graphics are pretty decent in the new i5 and i7 lines)

I'd use that gpu money towards a better motherboard with a few more features.

If you don't plan to add another stick of ram, you might as well get a 2x4gb kit instead of a single 8gb stick to take advantage of the dual channel... Which helps a little if you use the CPU graphics as I recommended.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have no desire for a better graphics card later and don't play modern games, then you can cut back a bit on the psu also... You can go as low as 400w with no sacrifice if you think that saving a buck is worth it. I don't recommend lower than that ever mostly due to negligible cost difference and sub par brands below that level... Its just easier to find good deals and good quality at 400w than anything lower.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I do plan on adding a better graphics card and another 8gb ram stick later when I save up some more. So I'm gonna keep the larger psu.

Thanks for your help, I changed up somethings.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XRZkgs

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Your motherboard and cpu are still 3 generations old, and the integrated graphics are no where near as good as the current ones...

Grab an i5 4690 and h97 board for about the same cost... FAR superior graphics and many other great improvements.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Please… don't get the R9 240, just get a 750, or a 750 ti…..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube