add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build, Help Appreciated

milwahkee
  • 72 months ago

Hello,

This is my soon to be first build.

Is there anything I should change?

would adding a cooler would be necessary? I'm afraid my PC might get too hot.

Is my power supply sufficient?

Is my build going to be too noisy? Should I look into getting a better case for noise dampening?

Thank you!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $76.66 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.91 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $329.99 @ Micro Center
Case NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $63.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1003.49

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The cpu comes with a cooler that'll be fine

PSU is ok as far as watts goes, I like gold rated seasonic brand/oem units tho, more expensive initially but the gold efficiency offsets that in a year or 2 via a cheaper electricity bill so you save in the long run, and seasonic are prolly one of the best names around in the psu world.

Case noise should be fine but it depends on how close you sit and your hearing/tolerance I guess.

PNY xlr8/optima ssds are a good alternative to the samsung if budget is an issue.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Aside from the locked CPU and mobo (just a personal opinion) it's a pretty solid build. The only reason I say that - and this is doubly true for first builds - once you're done with the build, at some point you're going to want to tinker with it. Might as well get an unlock CPU and mobo now to give you the option to overclock when you feel like it.

As for the CPU cooler, the stock fan that comes with the CPU will do its job, but might run a bit hot and will be a bit noisy, but as long as you don't overclock with it, you'll be fine for the time being. An aftermarket cooler will be quieter, keep your CPU cooler, and allow for overclocking, and some are very inexpensive. One of the best price/performance models you can get is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, which you can usually pick up for under $30.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube