add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Going to buy tonight! :D Any advice?

goodxfire
  • 71 months ago

Hello, I am going to buy the parts tonight. If anyone can help me out, i'd like some advice perhaps.

I am going to go with this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $149.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $7.81 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $88.79 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $86.39 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.24 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $296.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $60.74 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $19.69 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $37.33 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair CO-9050016-BLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $20.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Other Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding $4.49
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1064.40

First, I like to know if the case is any good. I like it the look of it, but of course I want to know if it is good quality and has good airflow. Maybe there's a better case? Any recommendations?

Second, does the 600w PSU leave enough room for me to overclock a little?

That's all I like to know and I appreciate any help. Thank you so much!

Happy Fourth of July =)

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The 600w psu doesn't leave you a whole lot of overclocking headroom because the 8320 is pretty power hungry when overclocked.

If you were to drop the thermal paste (you don't need it, the evo comes with some), the extra fan, switch the 840 evo to a pny xlr8, you would probably be able to bump up to a gigabyte windforce 290 if you wanted.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need the thermal compound. The cooler comes with some.

Your way over spending on the wifi card. You can get a better one for that which has ac, or for half the cost without.

Use the cash you save from those 2 things to get a bigger power supply. 750w is a good idea for future longevity and plenty of room to over clock and add more parts later to your pc.

The case is fine. Not my pick, but not a bad pick either.

Your also over spending on that fan if it's a case fan. It's a decent fan, but id want more cfm for that price.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, the reason I got the fan is because it's a twin pack. I don't know if that makes a difference to your point but I thought it's an ok deal for two fans.

I probably will now drop the thermal compound, thanks for the tip.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ya, it makes a difference. I didn't notice that was for 2 fans. It's a good deal then.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha yea, I could see why you didn't see as it doesn't say in the item description. But yea, thanks for the help :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. Good luck with your build!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks =)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition you can also save a few bucks if you don't need 802.11a with a b/g/n wifi card - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwn881nd

I always favour a psu with gold rated efficiency and preferably seasonic brand/oem, costs more upfront but the gold rating saves you the upgrade cost vs bronze in a year or 2 and it's difficult to find a better quality psu than a seasonic one - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12g650

Case comes with 3 fans already 2x 120mm 1x 140mm so like PT points out you can prolly drop the extra fan.

A few bucks more on the ssd & you can double it to a pny 240gig optima (basically the same as an xlr8 now if reports are to be believed)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $149.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $88.79 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.24 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $289.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $19.69 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $18.53 @ Amazon
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Other Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding $4.49
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1022.65
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thank you so much for the help! This new build looks a lot more solid and I think I will go with this one. Thank you so much again :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

NP

Hopefully it'll be a good rig for you :D

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, I hope so :p

Sorry to ask for so much help, but do you think it's worth the upgrade to an EVGA 770 SC? Or it's not really worth for such a small upgrade?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm not a pc gamer tbh so I'm a little in the dark here, as I understand it amd usually provide better bang for your buck so a 770 prolly wont be much of a jump even tho it costs more. It does vary depending on which games you like to play tho so the only advice i can give you is to hit google for fps benchmark comparisons.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok, I think I'm going to stick with the 280x cause I don't want to spend even more money xD.

Thanks again :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube