add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$700 gaming pc, first build - advice appreciated

chowchowc
  • 72 months ago

Hey guys this is my first build and I'd like some feedback and tips on how I could improve!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KnNJmG

Some questions: 1. Is there a big difference in performance between SSD and HDD when it comes to gaming to warrant spending the extra money? 2. Is my PSU too low? I see a lot of builds that have large power margins (like 100W) and I'm curious whether that is necessary. 3. Do I need any additional CPU cooling or fans in the case?

Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

This is better for you. Always leave a recommended 100W because on start up parts need more than what they normally use. SSD's help you speed up programs faster and give you a really fast boot up time. You really don't need that for yours. You always need a cpu cooler or your cpu will die from the heat. Just get 1 more fan to put in the front of the case to have better airflow and cooling.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $109.99 @ TigerDirect
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $87.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card $209.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $18.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $698.88

Ask more if you have any questions.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Do you think I can get away with not having an optical drive (how would I install my OS)?

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

You could get flash drive to install the os but I really don't know how that would be done. I would prefer to use a cd since its reliable. If you really don't want to get an optical drive then use a flash drive. Just ask in the operating system part of the forum so they can help you there and give you better advice. I don't want to give you any bad information on something I haven't done myself.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

There is a performance difference and if you are not just storing a lot of movies and stuff that takes up a lot of hard drive space the SSD will kill the HDD in speed, but then again it is way more expensive to get a SSD than a HDD.

Your psu will work. (If you look at the top right corner of your build it shows the estimated wattage use of your pc but it never hurts to get more. You are also cutting it very close and if you do not have a bigger psu you can not upgrade in the future without also getting a new psu.

You dont need additional cpu cooling if you are not over clocking but more fans never hurt and I would put one of the default fans you get in the case to the front so it can pull in fresh air.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube