add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help on my first rig! :)

rayne23
  • 71 months ago

So here is my partlist

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hwj84D

Basically, im going into computer engineering and my dad allowed me to get a really good computer for myself which will be mainly for school with some gaming on the side. My only real concerns are with the mobo and the 4790k, will i be able to do some light overclocking with this if and when i get a hyper 212 later on? How much would you guess i could OC with these parts. Finally, i just want to make sure that my PSU is sufficient for the r9 290 and OC'ing the 4790k later on.

All feedback is appreciated :)

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you plan on overclocking then get a corsair h80i or h100i since they will increase your performance and they will remove most of the heat. As for that cpu I really don't know if it overclocks that much. I'm more of an amd expert on overclocking.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

well i dont really want to spend too much on a water cooling set up, especially since i dont know how well this mobo overclocks at all, this is pretty much around my max budget right now.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not a complete water cooling setup. Its just a closed loop that focuses on your cpu and helps boost preformance.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

i know, but its still a lot more expensive than a hyper 212, considering i would probably have to upgrade my mobo to make full use of the closed loop

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Those rads take 8 screws and the pump assembly should be hand screws. 10min of work tops

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, work isnt the problem, money is, this is pretty much pushing my budget right now and cant really afford much better than this

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I would suggest a lower K cpu and maybe even make it an i5 if you aren't planning on doing any kind of programming, video editing, or CADing. That would pay for the CPU cooler and keep you at the same price point.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

maybe, ill think about it, i will do some programming i guess because im taking computer engineering as a major, but i also think that slightly overclocked i7 would be better than a fully overclocked i5 in general.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

EVO 212 is an excellent, cheap CPU cooler. Get that if anything to start with.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, ive heard a lot of great things about it and am confident in its performance, my only concern is with the mobo, its fairly new and i know nothing about it :(

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI makes excellent mobo's. There have been nothing but great reviews on them. Another suggestion would be Gigabyte who also makes great motherboards. Don't quote me, but I believe Z97 chipsets allow overclocking. If your main focus is the computer engineering, you may want to not overclock (as in don't get K) and get an i7 and 16gb of ram. You might find slightly faster ram for the same price as well.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Try switching the i7 with a i5-4690K

As for your power supply u want to change it to at least 650w

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, i accidentally clicked on the wrong newegg combo lol, heres my build updated, and i can still afford an i7, i just want to keeps costs as low as possible while keeping it :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CYhsnQ

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a reason for 16gb of RAM? Or are you just expecting you'll need that much for coursework?

Because you want to keep your costs in control for your father, my personal suggestions are:

Stick with 8gb for now. Tell your father you want to start with that much and see if there's any need for you to get more. If it ends up that you need more down the line, purchase it then, no need to add the extra expense now.

The PSU is overpriced. 550w psu for 70 bucks is pretty excessive.

Personally I'd suggest you stick with windows 8.1:

8.1 has confirmed dx12 support, whereas to date for windows 7 microsoft has said they are "exploring" whether or not it is possible. Since it doesn't appear that we'll actually get dx12 for at least a year and a half (last time I heard), it makes it even harder to believe windows 7 will be supported

Windows 8.1 in terms of UI is 99% IDENTICAL to 7. The only differentiating factors are the lack of a start button (which you can add with third party software like start8 and startisback), and the metro ui in windows 8/8.1 (which you never have to use if you don't want to).

Windows 8.1 is objectively better in terms of performance.

With all that in mind:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.91 @ OutletPC
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X² Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $63.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1156.82
  • 71 months ago
  • 2 points

actually posted the worng psu for some reason, here is my updated build

and yes, i told him i should stick with 8 gigs for now, for some reason he just wants me to build the best pc i can right now so i wont have to upgrade it for 3-4 years atleast, hopefully

edit: and yes, the 16gb is for expected coursework, and my father never gave me a real "budget" for some reason, he just wants me to build a beast computer for school but i still dont want to wast money if i have to.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

well eff that get two gtx780ti's and an i7 4820K and a SSD then. You wouldn't be "wasting" it. Just put it to good use! LoL, but seriously I'm glad you're more conscious about your dad's money. Go you.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

well, im off for the night, this is so far my latest update on my build

if anyone has any suggestions or can answer my questions from above, would greatly appreciate it, ty :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube