add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4770k high temps with stock cooler

td25er

67 months ago

I put together my first build today with a 4770k (stock speeds), stock cooler, Asus z97 a motherboard, define r4 case.

I ran prime95 and after 15 min of hovering around 78-82 degrees it shot up to 96 degrees and stayed around there until I stopped it. I know this is an unrealistic everyday use stress on the cpu but those temps seem insanely high considering I'm not overclocking. I think the cooler is installed correctly. Could it be a bad thermal paste job or do I need an aftermarket cooler?

Thanks.

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

For being fully stock, this would be normal in a case with less than excellent air flow. Upgrading or adding fans to the case will help alot, as will making sure you clean up all the wires and position drives in a way that maximizes air flow through the case.

TThat's an extreme test, so your not going to see those temps durring normal use or gaming, so you should be fine. Still, a good after market cooler is a great addition anyway if you have the cash.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Personalty I've never relied on the stock cooler and always get an aftermarket cooler. Good cheap cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=evo_cooler-_-35-103-099-_-Product

If you really want to solve the problem for good, they are kind of ugly but simply the best solution available short of custom water cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

All the stock coolers I've ever used didn't require a "thermal paste job" as they had the solid pad, or pre-dispensed, or whatever. Did you scrap it off and go your own way? If so then it's highly likely that's messed up. If not, you get what you get.

I have never stress tested them but my experience with Intel stock coolers is they start noisier than I like and get worse over time. So these days I get an aftermarket cooler for teh quietz. Recently I built with the Hyper 212 EVO and it's great.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I turned off turbo mode and the temps went down to about 90c. I added a Hyper 212 EVO and am now getting under 70c with turbo off.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube