add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming / Plex media center / daily driver - help

jetlagged
  • 71 months ago

Hi Everyone:

Let me start by saying that this site is awesome. There are so many helpful builds. I have taken the plunge and doing my first build. Here are the parts I have picked up so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JDgDkL

I am open to better alternatives and suggestions. Keep in mind my budget is 1000-1200 max. The parts list is over budget because it is not showing the pricing I am getting for processor: $259.99 and $115.99 for the mobo. Here is link to mobo, http://www.microcenter.com/product/414758/Z87_Deluxe_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard, please confirm it is same one. (now price is showing 155, i locked in at 115.99)

Also I haven't picked up a cpu cooler as I can't decide which one. Any help in that arena would be appreciated.

I will be using this PC to play SC2 - pretty much only game I play on PC. Sometimes nostalgia kicks in and I play SC1.

I will also be using this with multiple hard drives as a media server to stream content to devices/T.V's using Plex so that will also be eating CPU time.

In addition this computer will suffer regular browsing usage by family.

All in all the machine will hardly ever get turned off.

Thanks for all advice in advance.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

There are cheaper ssds with equivalent performance. For instance the PNY XLR8 is 20 bucks cheaper.

I'm still not sure why you're getting multiple hard drives though? Care to elaborate?

The PSU is a bit overpriced, you should be able to find cheaper like this one.

For the GPU, i get you're trying to match the colors with the mobo, but the gold on the gpu is much lighter than that of the motherboard, it's actually gonna look kinda nasty :P. I'd rather get a windforce or an xfx double dissipation instead.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

multiple hard drives for raid configuration of the data and secondly for storage. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of media and I don't like storing things on the cloud. I don't want to get one 4tb hard drive and dump everything on it and be in $hit hole if the drive fails.

Okay, I'll look at the other SSD.

Thanks for the alternative on PSU.

Lol, didn't even pay attention to the color thing :) I looked at XFX GPU on newegg but so many negative reviews...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube