add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions about cooling

gamer94

67 months ago

Hello, i'm quite new at custom pc building and i don't really understand cooling stuff and i have some questions regarding this. 1. Why is aftermarket cooler necessary, namely aren't e.g. intel i3, i5 and i7 default CPU coolers good enough for gaming (excluding overclocking)? 2. What's the difference between CPU cooler and GPU cooler and how and where can i buy GPU cooler? I thought it's built in GPU and i don't need to buy it separately. When i'm building my pc via pcpartpicker i can only see the slot for CPU cooler. Also, when i am trying to find GPU coolers in IT shops all i can find is CPU cooler and not GPU. 3. Isn't default GPU cooler good enough, excluding overclocking? 4. What does "including VAT" mean? It stands next to cpu and gpu i want to buy. 5. I don't want to risk anything with water coolers. Are air coolers ok? Thanks. :)

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

1-Stock coolers are great if you're not overclocking like you said. But you might also want to pick up an aftermarket one if you value lower noise levels. Stock coolers can also be a little more nerve-wracking to install with their silly pushpin design.

2-Aftermarket CPU coolers are much more massive than even the highest end stock GPU coolers. The difference is just in the form factor and mounting system. The basic principles are the same - conduct heat away from the chip with heat pipes or metal slabs, cool the pipes/slabs with heat fins, and cool the fins with a fan. You don't really need an aftermarket GPU cooler even for overclocking. Most of the time you reach the max overclock on a GPU with the stock cooler as manufacturers limit the amount of voltage you can increase. Temperature is not a limiting factor (most of the time). So if you upgrade the cooler you're doing it mainly for silence.

The best option right now short of custom water cooling is an NZXT Kraken G10 GPU bracket and a Corsair H55 CPU cooler. The G10 bracket lets you attach the H55 to your GPU. But you don't need it by any means.

3-Yes it is more than enough. GPU temperature is not the limiting factor for almost all builds.

4-Not exactly sure on this, but I think VAT, when included, means that tax and maybe shipping cost is included in the list price.

5-Air coolers are totally fine. Liquid cooling performs better when you start looking at the $70+ range where you find thick 120mm and slim 140mm radiators. Slim 120mm radiators are expensive due to the base costs of radiators, tubing, pumps, barbs, and clamps, so they perform like $30-$40 coolers but cost $50-$60. Cheaper liquid coolers only make sense for limited-space small-form-factor builds or aesthetics on a "budget".

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

LeMonarque, thank you so much for taking the time and answering my questions, this is of a great help to me! :) You were right about VAT, it stands for value-added tax. Don't know how i couldn't find that before when i was searching for it.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

VAT is Value Added Tax, it's UK sales tax basically but it's included in the sticker purchase price, nothing to do with shipping.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube