add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

possibly my first build

pwoo32
  • 71 months ago

I need a new pc in my life. I am going to be using it for adobe creative cloud applications, mainly Photoshop and Illustrator, and, of course, gaming. I play most all games, and am definitely struggling to play bf4 mp on my, almost 6 year old, Alienware M14X at the moment. This is my idea, with help from friends, for a new rig. This will also be the first computer I put together myself. Any comments or recommendations are very welcome. Would like to keep it in the 900 price range. Thanks all. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pwoo32/saved/dznp99

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $179.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $127.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $304.99 @ NCIX US
Case Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $894.90

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $174.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $57.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $81.87 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.24 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $295.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $77.24 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $872.29
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I was debating radeon or geforce, and my buddy just recently got a radeon. He says he hates the drivers and all the hassles that go with it, and wishes he stuck with geforce. I am still unsure, but that's the only hands on opinion I have right now.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

yep same issue the driver support sucked bad for the Radeon I had. I just took mine back and got a 760 and it worked like a charm. and if your going to get a liquid cooler why not go with the 8320 its the same chip just not over clocked.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

note: I was trying to add it to a A6 budget system and that is probably why it had issues..but still it is a concern of mine..

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

what kind of radeon? the newer cards shouldnt be as bad, neither should cards from some of the better card makers.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

He has the radeon 270x 4gbs, not sure what manufacturer. He strongly advises against it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally prefer Nvidia cards. They're much more power efficient (for those of us that are a little bit more eco conscious), easier to cool, have better drivers, and generally perform better than Radeon cards. I would pick the GTX 770.

The only thing is that you're going to pay a bit more for a Nvidia card.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're wiling to pay another $40, you can get an i5 4690k which will give you better bang for buck for your programs like Photoshop. It's easy to overclock and will perform better than your AMD chip.

Sorry, I'm partial to Intel/Nvidia :D

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Another thing I'm very slightly concerned about is that the i5's are not hyperthreaded. I read that newer games will be utilizing hyperthreading, and that bf4 mp already uses more cpu power then other games.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I play BF4 at max settings with 40-50 fps. I have a GTX 760 (just a little worse than your card there) and an overclocked i5. I have absolutely no problem with any game...with the exception of Crysis 3 which is in a world of its own.

Yes, hyperthreading is coming to gaming, but the real difference maker for gaming will still be the gpu. My processor usually doesn't pass 70-80% load playing BF4.

AMD makes decent budget CPUs, but if you want performance, Intel is the way to go.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I am pretty sure I will go with the i5 4690k, but what are your thoughts on the best bang for buck motherboard for this chipset? I was thinking I would spend around 100-150 on the motherboard, because I want one that will last. As well as be capable to handle upgrades in a bit over a year or so.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm really not an expert on motherboards. I usually go by price. You'll be fine with most boards in that price range. It ends up coming down mostly to features.

Sadly, there is no such thing as "future-proof" with motherboards. Your GPU might last a long time. Your RAM is generally good for ages...but the motherboard gets dated quickly. In your case, the limiting factor is the processor. Companies like to make new sockets for processors rather frequently. This makes it hard to upgrade one without getting a new motherboard.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi not hugely knowledgeable in motherboards, but from what I've learned, is that for an LGA1150 socket type for the i5 4690k, Asus Z87 pro and MSI Z87 MPOWER might be your safest bet right now. These puppies have wifi equipped and are SLI-capable (Asus 2-SLI, MSI 3-SLI... from counting the PCI.Ex16 ports), hence their prices being a tad higher than what you are wanting to spend. If you want to go the un-wifi route, prices for mobo's start at about $119. What i've heard is that lately, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus are the best brands to go to. Asus in general has meh customer service though.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

First I want to thank everyone for their input and advice. I have made changes, and think this may be the route I go. I do have a micro center near me, and their cpu motherboard bundle will save me about 25-30 bucks. Not a whole lot saved, but I'll take it.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $159.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $88.79 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $289.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $913.72

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube