add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
BestFriend
  • 72 months ago
  • Budget around $700USD
  • Preferred Merchants are: Newegg, Amazon, NCIX, and Microcenter cannot drive yet so no instore pickup
  • Mini ITX size
  • Mainly used for school work and light gaming: LoL, Minecraft, BF4, CS:GO
  • No peripherals, OS. Just the parts.
  • How does Intel Pentium 3258 compare to AMD Athlon X4 760K
  • How big is Bitfenix Prodigy *PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $74.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $72.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.24 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card $169.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.99 @ Micro Center
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $652.15

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Good job.

And an OC'd G3258 stomps any Athlon.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So does a turd lol. Athalon is the weakest choice

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the support. Also, When is the best time of the year to buy and build?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

For a build of this caliber, now. Your parts are not the most bleeding edge on the market, which means you don't need extreme performance. Your setup will perform fine for another 2 generations, most likely.

Unless you know of any upcoming sales now would be the perfect time to buy after you finalize your part list.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much. For higher end stuff, usually in the fall, but this stuff won't see the crazy deals around Thanksgiving that more expensive and newer hardware would

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Might be worth dropping that cooler if it will get a better cpu. Stock Intel coolers are sufficient for non over clocked setups. If you could stretch a buck for an i3,do it

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Initially I wanted to go i3-4150, but when I heard of this processor I was amazed of the near performance levels after overclock. So I want to deviate from the norm and try something new. Also, I don't like the aesthetics of the stock cooler and want to try to OC the Pentium. Any way thanks for the help.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a better a cpu, skip the liquid cooler. Far better plan. Or like you said, if you really hate stock cpu fans (which I do too), check out the cooler master tx3 ($19).

Im really biting my tongue how bad of an idea of spending $50 on liquid cooling to make a gimp cpu go faster. : (

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't bite your tongue or they won't learn the reasons why. If we just say it's a good idea, that tells him nothing about why he should really do it. If we mention the difference between the chips and why the i3 is in a totally different league, then he might decide to go that route. Looks like the heart is set on the Web later chip though.

In all honesty, for this budget, I'd go amd, just not the crappy athalon.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you seen how an OC'd G2358 performs? It's god damn brilliant. It matches a 4790k in a lot of games. Especially the ones that don't rely on many cores. To get it and not OC it should be considered a hazard.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You can always overclock and run 10 times more watts thru a slower component like a cpu or a gpu, but that really isn't an ideal solution. Higher electricity usage aside, theres really no chance a duel core can match everything a quad core can do and the newer technologies because more things go into gaming than just raw speed.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OCing is more performance. As long as you have good cooling heat and watts aren't gonna be an issue. And that Pentium OCs like a champ. It's performance gains are actually really impressive. And yeah, a hyperthreaded quad core will outperform it in just about everything, but in lightly threaded games the Pentium is awesome.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the 660 Graphics card over the 750ti, it is slightly older but it will allow for SLI and performs better on most games.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally would never plan a build with an older gpu with sli in mind. If you think you already need to sli a slower gpu like the 660, I would spend the difference a buy a faster gpu to begin with. Maybe a used 660ti or a 670 maybe still be within the budget.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you have a budget around $700 then why not use it? I played with the build a little and got you a better GPU and higher wattage PSU for <$700: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $74.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $72.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.24 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $229.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.99 @ Micro Center
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $697.15
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I like your approach. Will the 760 bottleneck the Pentium

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you mean will the pentium bottleneck the 760 and that...I don't know...if you're overclocking then I hear this anniversary edition is beastly so I don't believe so. Either way, a bottlenecked 760 would perform better than a 750TI (with same CPU).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

the 760 is definitely a good card for the money, looks like a very nice build for the money, the only thing I would do differently is add a SSD (boot drive) when the budget allows.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube