add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build: Advice/Opinions wanted

HollowedArcher
  • 72 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RhKH7P

There she be, I'm shooting for a low-mid PC strong enough to build play most modern games on normal to high settings (So no, I'm not shooting for Arma3 on Ultra or Crysis 3 with everything cranked up). My main concern would be the 500W PSU, but I feel like this build won't exactly melt the case with power consumption.

Of course, any money saving tips would be wonderful.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

With that gpu, ive seen a lot of peeps using 430w, so 500w is definitely ok. That gimp cpu and only 4gb or ram should be your main concerns.

For saving money, check prices of refurbished parts on newegg.com or sometimes you can score a good deal on used parts from either craigslist or ebay.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I was gonna get another 4gb in the near future but as long as I'm not gonna limit my parts, I think I'll stick with 4gb until I can afford to beef it up. Adding things like RAM and Drives is balls easy.

Is the dual core 3.2GHz not enough? I'd be willing to throw another $20 at the CPU but its not like I'm running highly complex programs on this thing and need a quad core. Of course, I don't know much so I'm open for advice on that.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Modern AAA games like BF4 and Crysis 3 definitely benefit from a quad core and some tests even show BF4 having added benefits from amd's 8 core cpus. But for only $20, Im not sure how much better of a cpu you could really buy. Maybe at least try to get an i3.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QtLrRB

Here's the new list of what I might get.

Updated: Went for the 2x4GB for 8GB overall and an i5-4440 for the quad core and such. Overall, for $125 more, I think the performance will be improved greatly, Yeah?

But is that unnecessary? I'm not exactly flush with cash and $750 would be the biggest I could possibly go.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are some very solid upgrades. I would def do that build. Plus CPU's and motherboards are a lot bigger pain to upgrade than anything else.

Lol I hate to do this to you, because this might put you way over budget but another solid upgrade would be to get a 760 gpu ($215) or maybe a used 670 from on ebay (or amd 270 or 280). You would really be doing some serious gaming then. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487018&cm_re=nvidia_760-_-14-487-018-_-Product

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube