add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New gaming PC build - input appreciated!

Toludin
  • 71 months ago

I'm building a new PC (as mine is now several years old and destined for my wife), and have been playing around with some options.

The overall goal of this build is to play current gen games @ 1080p at very high/max settings, and be extensible enough for an 'update' in a year or two (probably going to SLI, for instance) to stay at this mark. Another possible option would be to go to SLI to drive multiple monitors.

I think I've hit a pretty good sweet spot of performance and price, but I'd love to get some input from more experienced builders, if anyone has any thoughts (such as alternatives on parts, ways to increase performance or reduce price, general feedback on if I've met my goals, etc.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $78.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $152.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $212.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $304.99 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1467.88

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Due to some feedback, I updated some parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $100.36 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $152.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $212.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $475.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1664.24
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Why pay extra for the Xeon when it's designed for workstations/servers? i5 is a gaming CPU, stick with it. Also why do you need such a hefty PSU? You can knock it down some and have extra money to play with. What is your budget, anyways?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I got some feedback that the Xeon might be a better option for me, since I wasn't looking to overclock very heavily. Do you know of any good benchmarks for Xeon vs stock/lightly overlocked i5 for gaming purposes?

I got the bigger PSU as I figured I might go SLI in a year or two (or sooner if I decide to drive multiple monitors). So I figured 850W would be plenty for that potential overhead. Do you think it's overkill?

I don't have a budget honestly. I don't push my PC too much, but my current rig is down to medium settings on some more recent games. I'd like to get something that will be very high or max and have some extensibility moving forward to stay at that without needing to build another rig in 2 years. So, for example, while I could go with a 780 Ti, would I really be using it to its fullest? Or would I just be paying more for something I wouldn't be taxing and taking advantage of, when I could go with a 780 now and SLI it in a year or two if I needed to?

With that in mind, do you think I should make any other changes here?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you're not going to overclock much but don't have a tight budget then maybe an i7 series. They are a bit more expensive but will perform immensely better in games. Xeons are designed for workstations, not gaming. 780 is fine for now, I only would recommend TI if you have a $2000+ budget and nothing else needs upgrades.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha, thanks! I'll look into the i7s. I'm generally happy to pay a bit of premium for a better 'out of the box' solution, rather than doing after-market replacements or overclocking. So that might be the sweet spot for me.

Regarding the cards, I'd happily go up to the Ti if you think it's well worth the investment at this point. From the benchmarks I was looking at, it seemed like a 40% price increase for about 10% in performance - but maybe that's not accurate (or not a good way to look at it).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

i7 would be better upgrade than ti

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 is probably a better mobo choice for you

G.Skill Ripjaw X 1866 Ram

No HDD? 512GB SSD is going to fill fast man, i would go with this set up: 1TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid Drive and a 250GB or 512 GB SSD to go along (Samsung 840 EVO)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Quick questions:

1) Why do you think the MSI board is better for me?

2) On the RAM, could you explain the difference and why you recommend that one?

3) I currently use 285 GB on my drive, so it seems like 512 would be good for some time for me. I was thinking about the 1 TB EVO instead, but also thought that, if I do need to upgrade in a year or two, perhaps I'd want to opt for a M.2 or SATA Express at that point, so why dump money into an expiring form factor now?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

More features. That is a lower end Z97 Asus mobo which arent as good as the Gaming 5 from MSI.

2- For gaming, 16GB is totally unnecessary, and also, this ram is faster because of the 1866mhz and 8 cas latency for cheaper.

3- That isnt expiring, what i recommended is a Hybrid hard drive not a regular hard drive...

If possible get the 1TB Evo by all means.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube