add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Close to finished, need tips and overview lookover

jeff_64
  • 72 months ago

Hey all, well I've finally got the money to purchase my animation pc. my budget was $2000 but after finding I could get 2 more cores for $200 more i brought it up to $2200 with slight fluidity.

Basically I need to know if my current setup I made will work, right now it's unable to verify case size working and says I need an addition PCI slot which I don't know what that is. Here is my current parts list if you see any glaring problems or have any tips I'd appreicate it!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU COOLER: NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard

MEMORY: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

STORAGE: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card

CASE: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case

POWER SUPPLY: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

OPTICAL DRIVE: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

SOUND CARD: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card

WIRED NETWORK ADAPTOR: TP-Link TG-3269 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter

WIRELESS NETWORK ADAPTOR: Rosewill RNX-G300LX 802.11b/g PCI Wi-Fi Adapter

The Windows OS doesn't matter much since I can get one for a discounted price at my school, and extras such as monitors and accessories will be bought after.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

pci slot is what that soundcard/wireless adapter is connecting to. I will say that a sound card is generally not needed and a waste of money unless you are needing specific outputs that your motherboard doesn't supply. So you could drop that sound card and be good to go.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

well there are a few other suggestions I have If you will export your markup to the forum I will be willing to look more into it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so when it says I need an additional slot, that means one of the parts I have doesn't contain enough slots for the wireless and wired adaptor correct?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

yea that motherboard probably only has 1 pci slot, so you wont be able to put in both.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I just signed up to the site. Is this the link you need? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6YMnyc

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

yes that helps, but if you do the export markup, copy it then past it into the forum its much neater and provides a list without opening the link

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $561.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $34.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $229.99 @ Amazon
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $157.27 @ TigerDirect
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $138.50 @ Amazon
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card $379.99 @ Best Buy
Case NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $84.99 @ NCIX US
Wired Network Adapter TP-Link TG-3269 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter $9.86 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-G300LX 802.11b/g PCI Wi-Fi Adapter $8.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1768.52
[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Do animation pcs need a CPU that costs more than their GPU? Seems weird to me.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my first pc I've built for animation. but rendering time is really important which is believe is the cores. Graphics card and ram is important because of the interface in programs I believe. Like for example in a sculpting program like zbrush, the highest my current object will subdivide to is a certain limit of polygons due to memory. So having higher memory I believe will allow more polygons to be on screen at once.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

motherboard has built in NETWORK ADAPTER so that is not needed as well.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Will you use it for gaming at all? Or purely animation

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah so the motherboard doesn't need any of the network adaptors to be able to use those network wired and wireless? I'd like to use it for gaming as well but that's secondary to animation.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the things that you want to keep (case, etc.)? I'll keep your CPU choice since you want gaming and animation + 6 cores. I was gonna switch you to Xeon but that's not as good for gaming.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I will likely want to keep the cpu, graphics card, memory and motherboard. The advise so far has managed to give me about $350 in space though so I'd be ok with upgrading something if possible. The things I don't know much about is the cooler, power supply, optical drive, and making sure a case can hold everything. I know it'll have to be a full case.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube