add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the best motherboard for my build?

Tonymike
  • 71 months ago

I'm looking for the best motherboard for my build, I have a $200 budget for the board. I want overclocking, speed, and the highest graphics settings possible. For now, I'll be on a 1080p monitor, but I plan to upgrade to possibly a 4k. The system will mainly be used for gaming, and it w I'll be games like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, all with over 100 mods...it will also be used for games like Battlefield 4, Crysis, Modern Warfare, and Day Z. Here is the list of parts I already have..http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tonymike/saved/YzPgXL

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It sounds like most of your requirements will be met by your video card and not the motherboard. That said, you have a wide choice of boards in the $140+ price range. Really the features are not that much better as you rise to $200.

Asus and msi boards get high marks for their easy to use overclocking options and their build quality. Check them out.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

As redcedar noted a lot of what you have communicated is dependent on graphics performance so your GPU is a key consideration especially if you are considering 4K.

With that noted the motherboard will influence many factors.

At a low price point I would recommend the Z97-A but for your build I have but the MAXIMUS VI HERO

It has a truly enthusiast class feature set with improved component quality, unmatched per header fan control, improved audio, Intel Lan with packet priority software and an awesome UEFI and software suite.

The -A is equally impressive with just a few features removed that are more specific to gaming such as specialized virtual sound options, reduced power components ( but still very high end ). Fan controls are equal which is a big plus along with overclocking ability and consistency. The -A has the benefit of offering dynamic real time auto overclocking specific to your CPU which is different that other boards including ROG which use a preset which may work but also may fall outside the margin of your CPU.

Some general recommendations

1. Wait on the CPU the replacement for the 4670K is coming very shortly.

2. SSD you are better getting a EXTREME II from SANDISK superior read and write performance and much much better read and write consistency over time. If you wait until the end of the month you can get the new 850 PRO but it will be more expensive than either the 840 or the EXTREME II but will be faster than both.

3. I would recommend the ASUS DirectCU II cards. Ultra cool, quiet and fast and outstanding build quality. Additionally if you are serious about 4K while a 770 is a solid choice for SLI and for the long term you are better saving and push for a 780. Cores and performance is much more important than VRAM and 3GB is solid for 4K even with SLI as you will still be limited to 3GB compared to 4GB.

4.Changed the chassis to one with a new layout with more flexibility and offering front USB 3.0 headers. The chassis you selected will entirely work so it is your call.

1. Dropped the memory to 2133 which is great and more than enough bandwidth for all sititions. Additionally 2400 especially as you overclock is not a guarantee as the CPU memory divider may not be able to operate at those speeds with aggressive CPU frequnecy overclocks.

2. Cooler is fine and you should have solid headroom out of it but keep in mind dependent on how much you OC and which voltage and how you stress test thermals may be breached fairly moderately. As such if really want to OC consider moved a little higher but overall very good choices. Best of luck with the build.

My recommendation sans the items I recommend you wait on. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wXYJgs

Hope this helps and best of luck with the build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube