add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ElectedMeteor45
  • 71 months ago

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/kTnnyc There is the link for my new gaming PC. I don't know how good this case is, for cooling and overclocking, and I think the power supply is good enough, and opinions on this motherboard would be great too. I plan on overclocking! And keep in mind I'm from Australia. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

everything looks good, but that PSU is probably way overboard. you would be fine with a 650 watt, but 750 should probably allow for sli in the future.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I thought :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can afford it, you'll find 1866mhz RAM with a low CAS value to make a noticeable difference in performance. I have 1600mhz RAM and it does the job but I feel like I could get a better edge if it was faster.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there :)

If I may ask, what is the upper limit of your budget?

Some of my two-byte opinions:

*Asus motherboards generally are more reliable and are higher in quality in comparison to other motherboards in my experience.

*Rid of the optical drive - DVDs and CDs are obsolete! If you are going to have an optical drive, you might as well go and get yourself a floppy disc drive as well! :D

• Are you going to overclock using the stock CPU cooler? How long did you plan on keeping that CPU? :P Don't attempt to overclock with a stock cooler. A 212 EVO is good for overclocking. If you are willing to fork out some more cash, look into a Corsair or Cooler Master liquid cooler, or even a Phanteks cooler which beats them all ;)

• Bear in mind, the larger the case, the harder it gets to keep it cool! So that means more case fans to keep the hot air moving out and cold air moving in.

• You chose the same GPU that I bought! :D Just some things to watch out for if you end up getting that one:

• It doesn't come with an Nvidia GTX sticker :(

• It starts to droop on the right far corner from its own weight after several months. I fixed that by attaching wire ties which hold it up to the HDD cage.

• The 3 fans on that specific model face downward and mess with the case's airflow :P

:D

Here is a parts list I made for you:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $275.00
Motherboard Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $149.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $205.00
Storage Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $68.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $409.00
Case BitFenix Neos Black ATX Mid Tower Case $65.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply -
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1270.00 (I'm leaving the CPU cooler for you to decide)

I don't have a clue whether that is australian dollars or american :P Just have a look at the parts and make your decisions :)

Hope I helped! Regards

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

ODDs create unnecessary heat and are extremely slow -fact.

Were in the era of 64-bit games and applications and they like to eat RAM. :3

I made this for the author of this topic to decide for himself since each SSD has it's pros and cons:

(To avoid conflicts all specs and prices are from newegg.com)

Manufacturer Model Max Read Max Write 4KB Random Read 4KB Random Write Capacity Price
Samsung 840 EVO (MZ-7TE120BW) 540MB/s 410MB/s 94,000 IOPS 35,000 IOPS 120GB $99.99
Crucial MX100 (CT128MX100SSD1) 550MB/s 150MB/s 80,000 IOPS 40,000 IOPS 128GB $74.99
Intel 520 Series Cherryville (SSDSC2CW120A310) 550MB/s 500MB/s 25,000 IOPS 40,000 IOPS 120GB $161.65

Hope I helped :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, we are in that era... However gaming itself isn't going to come close to using up 16GB RAM. If he is rendering or using other similar applications - It's definitely going to help him out... But he hasn't stated he intends to use those things which means there's no point in him getting it.

As for the Optical Drive - There are dozens of reasons why people would still have one of those. I know I plan on getting one for my build.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I agree, unless he goes into video editing he won't need so much RAM.

I'm not saying that people wouldn't need ODDs still, I'm just saying that they are a dying technology due to the reasons I mentioned earlier :3 hehe

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That much is obvious, with the ability to purchase and download things via the internet - Eliminating the need for disks altogether... But there are still some things which will require an Optical Drive.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ripping music basically means copying the audio files onto your computer, where managing the files is faster, more convenient and more time efficient.

Now replace the word 'Ripping' with 'Downloading' and see how it's the same thing :3

Floppy discs are awesome. But I mean really, magnetic tape. That's so 1970's! :D

And thanks! I like making those ┬──┬ s

:P

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, any other advice?

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, do you think the rest of the PC is good? Do you have a suggestion for a case?

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, but is a brand like crucial reliable? I mean, are they dodgy? And thanks for all the advice!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube