add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on first build?

Hydrophobic
  • 71 months ago

Let me start by identifying my uses for the computer. I primarily play EVE (for those who know what it is) which is fairly non-demanding, and i am able to run it at full settings on my laptop now. I would like to be able to run two, three, or four game clients at once, without too much strain on the computer (laptop can do two, but it runs really hot with a cooling pad - not ideal for its lifespan). Beyond that I do standard internet junk, Netflix etc. I have a build in mind, and another with slightly upgraded components, but it is just past my ideal price range. Ideally I would like to keep it under 900. I'm also a sucker for appearance, so that factored in some (eg the fans - fan controller is to shut them up for things like netflix). Anyway, here is the cheaper build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hydrophobic/saved/84pmP6

and here is the pricier one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hydrophobic/saved/vRJmP6

My main questions are whether the upgrades are worth it for what I need (I have heard not, I don't plan to OC). A note on the keyboard - I don't really care about what keyboard I get, I'm just including one that looks okay so the final price represents the whole build, as I want something cheap, functional, and backlit blue.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Processor upgrade is probably not worth it. $30 for a very slight increase in performance. Flip a coin and choose.

GPU upgrade most certainly is worth it.

If you're not going to overclock, don't bother with an aftermarket cpu cooler.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hydrophobic/saved/vFPgXL

So this is about the goal? I suppose I can take the price bump if the difference will be that great. Thanks for the info!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

With that gpu, you want the other psu. 550w is not enough. For the 270x it was fine, just not for the 280x.

I'd still get a cpu cooler just cause the amd one is pretty crappy. You can just add it later if needed though.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

And you can skip a couple of those fans for now. They are not needed that badly and will give you more cash up front towards the gpu and power supply upgrades

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't needed, but I like how they look. I could easily wait on those to save a bit of cash, but I'm including everything in the build to represent final cost. I may skip one anyway, to keep positive case pressure for dust reasons, as with these is three in/three out.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a regular hard drive? That SSD is going to fill up very quickly, even on a PC that doesn't do much 'serious' gaming. If not, that's okay. You can always buy one for $100 a month or two after you buy the system. It's an easy upgrade.

The reason I recommend the GPU upgrade is because even though you don't necessarily need it now, it gives your computer a little bit of future proofing. If you need to run games that are a little more powerful in a year or two, that card will give you more room to grow.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

In full agreement here. The gpu us far superior to the 270x and plays every current game except 2 or 3 at full settings on 1080p,and those couple are almost max settings

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, thats the plan with the SSD. Others who run multiple eve clients have said an SSD makes a big difference. A 1TB 7200 would be really cheap and easy to add later. Good point about the GPU too.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I can see the ssd being a benefit there with multiple game instances.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That processor beats the crummy AMD one by a mile.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya I had to go with AMD for my build just due to $$, Id build this in a heartbeat

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This is very much worth considering also. The gpu is I'm between the 2 you chose, the psu is adequate, the motherboard is good and the i5 will run cooler and outperform the amd cpu on most games.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hydrophobic/saved/hLyqqs

I came up with this using that processor and MoBo, but with a 280X GPU. The price goes up to just over 1k, which isn't great, but if it is a good performance upgrade I can handle it. My only question witht eh AMD/Intel thing is how the fewer cores will handle potentially running 5, 6, or 7 game clients at once.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Id put it into the CPU instead, i5-4670

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd sooner think we'd run into RAM problems before processor problems.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

excellent Q to which my brain is saying F you atm

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, most likely.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube