add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Builder - Please Have At It!

SDFlyer
  • 71 months ago

What do you know - another parts list from a first time builder. Any input is greatly appreciated. Some background on the uses for this project...this is not for hardcore gaming, but basically everything else:

• Regular office work, Microsoft Office suite and everything needed for running a small company (QuickBooks, perhaps some simple ERM software at the end of the day), web design and design of promotional materials, labels etc...
  • Hobby work includes processing and editing of high definition photography and video
  • No time for games, but the computer should be able to effortlessly run Microsoft Flight Simulator X or similar software capable of simulating IFR approaches, perhaps simulation software for the Garmin G1000.

Some questions:

• Do I need a video card, or is the built-in HD Graphics 4600 card in the CPU sufficient?
  • Do I need a more souped-up motherboard? I want the HDMI and USB3 ports, but don't know if I'm missing something else essential here.
  • Do I need separate cooling for the CPU? I'm not planning on overclocking it.

The proposed build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $334.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $113.00 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $143.10 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $225.00 @ Amazon
Case Apevia X-DREAMER4-GN ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $104.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1081.05

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not planning on overclocking, there's no need to spend the extra money on the Z97 chipset, try H97 instead. It's basically the same thing, but locked. Same thing with the 4790 and 4790K - K just means unlocked, which is useless if you're not overclocking.

It's personal preference I guess, but I would get an HDD with a lot more capacity on it, and then a smaller SSD for OS/a couple of programs that you use frequently. 120gb should be enough for the SSD, and the sky's the limit with a HDD. This will cost significantly less.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I realized I didn't actually answer your questions. I'm not a GPU expert but I know that it's almost always worth investing in a dedicated card. You're not going to need much for what you're doing, probably somewhere around a $150 card, maybe a 750ti? Again I'm not the best with GPUs.

Your mother board seems perfectly fine, at least in terms of compatibility. You've got all the essentials there and if you're not looking for anything really specific, it seems good.

I don't think you'll need cooling if you're not overclocking. If you want your computer to be quieter, then invest in one, but in terms of performance it's not necessary.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for commenting so much, whoops. Just figured I mess around with your build a bit. Knocked it down almost $200, and the performance will be the same for what you're doing. (I think you made a good CPU choice since you're going to be video editing.)

Also do you really need a Blu-Ray writer?

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $298.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $83.98 @ OutletPC
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $902.90
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for all the feedback and the re-build - more stuff for less money!

Great points on the locked versus unlocked, and combining a SSD with a traditional HD...I never thought about that. Will 120Gb be enough for the OS plus Office and editing/publishing software? I don't mind going to 250Gb .

For the GPU, I figured I can try with the on-board one, and if I feel it is limiting I can always add a dedicated card later?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, that is correct, and the ssd should be fine, but remember for optimal performance leave 15% of the ssds total space empty.

Good luck, bigbezz

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

One question - I noticed that you swapped out the power supply. Is the Corsair insufficient? I don't mind upgrading just trying to learn. Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah sorry, I kind of rushed the build since I was at work. Meant to keep the 4790, since it's worth the extra $10-20 if you were willing to spend $1000+ to start with

SeaSonic is considered pretty trustworthy in terms of PSUs, and I've seen some people complain about Corsair PSUs in the past. I figured it stayed within the price range, but thinking it over, I would go with the Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500 ). The price is worth the jump in efficiency (bronze to gold) as well as being semi-modular, meaning better airflow, and with a case like that, better looking. Sorry about second guessing myself on this!

And I haven't ever met anyone who used on board graphics, but I've heard decent things about the 4790's on board graphics... Try it if you want, there's no harm in it, I guess! It's not like your PCIe is going to be taken by something else in case you want to get a GPU in the future.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I saw the 4790 was only a couple of bucks more, so I'll go for that and the Gold certified Corsair PSU.

It looks like I'll proceed with your suggested build, though I'll spring for a 240gb SSD and downgrade the memory card to a 1600 (the motherboard only supports up to 1600 so the 1866 won't give me an additional advantage, or am I not thinking correctly)?

Here is my final (?) composition:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $304.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.99 @ Micro Center
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $56.24 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $923.16

Again, many thanks for your assistance!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube