add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time Gaming PC Builder Here-Looking for opinions on my part list.

glbkywildcats
  • 71 months ago

I've been doing some research for the past several weeks and I think my planned build should be pretty good. Like I said this is my first time building a PC and I am hoping to build one that is capable of maxing out the games that I play (BF4, DayZ, Crysis 2, Arma 3). Below is my current parts list and it should also be included that I'm considering a 24-27 inch monitor 1920x1080. A stupid question that I have is do I also need to include a wireless USB adapter to connect to the internet via wifi, or is that somehow already taken care of in something else. Budget is around 1200$ for just the main components, can be a little flexible. Thanks in advance for all your insight! PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $129.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $98.81 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.24 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $336.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case $63.68 @ Amazon
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $68.00 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $42.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Samsung S27C350H 27.0" Monitor -
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1056.68

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm wondering, I'm going to use this Video Card: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strikergtx760p4gd5

With 4GB, I wonder how this compares to your video card being GTX 770, while mine is GTX 760.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting that you say that, because It took me quite the while to decide between those two cards. I ended up going with the 770. I'd like to hear someone's insight on what they think the probable difference between the two is, in terms of performance.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, if the specs end up being the same, you might save yourself a good $45. And in my case, if the performance is much better in the GTX 770 with 2GB, maybe I should invest in the extra bit of $$$. Haha

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I'm researching, I think I may look into something a bit different. Every place I read says 4GB is overkill, and that the Video cards only really ever make use of 2GB. Interesting fact.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I would switch to AMD proccessors and put the money saved to a better video card, SSD or something. The FX-6300 has 2 more cores at a clock speed of 3.5GHz for half the price. The FX-6300 also overclocks better. There are people that say either is better than the other. So do what you want.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-FX-6300

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ty for the helpful link. I'll highly consider that. The debate between Intel and AMD seems to be a very tense one with pros and cons for each. Don't believe I've seen a processor with 6 cores before. Very cool.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

On Intel's website, I found a 15 core processor. It is for a server and really slow compared to the i5. It is the Intel Xeon. IDK what AMD has though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube