add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My case has no intake fan mounting, what to do?

EquinoX_

66 months ago

I'm using an old case from a 2007-2008 pre-built system. It's mATX and the layout is reversed. The cooling system is kinda sucks, there are 2 exhausts (back panel fan and PSU fan) but the only way for the air to get in is the side panel vents as it doesn't have any intake fan. Well, I can put a 120 mm fan for the intake but I can't mount it properly because only 1 screw will able to hold it, from what I can see.

I'm not having any problem with temps right now, but whenever I want to throw a GPU in it, I will always think more than twice because the lack of air to keep it away from overheating.

What to do? Should I put an intake fan but letting it 'hanging' in there? Or flip the exhaust fan for fresh air from the back instead? (Edit: I did this not long ago, it gives slightly lower temps on the CPU but the the fan gets even more noisy as a side effect.. it annoys me at the most, so yeah, nevermind about this)

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

Short of modding, these would be your best bet:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s234/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-525_Bay_Fans-Page1.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835230005

Note that on the Lian-Li one, the fans are not included. Which I think is ridiculous..

Keep the rear fan an exhaust. You don't need to have an intake, but you must always have an exhaust to force airflow in a single-fan situation like this. With intake only the air just swirls around inside the case. Neither situation is ideal, but exhaust is the minimum.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice, it cleared me out. Those fan bays looks really nice anyways, too bad that I live far enough from USA, I doubt they will offer shipping to Indonesia without a significant cost increase.

Well, I started to think about leaving it as is, or a crude way.. touch of drills for few extra holes. However, when it comes to dangerous equipments, it's up to my father as I'm still feeling underaged and unfamiliar with that stuff.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Without seeing what the case looks like it would be difficult to make suggestions. Though if there are any available 5 1/4 external drive bays, like ones for Optical drives you might be able to use something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119122&Tpk=drive%20bay%20fan

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try to get some pics as soon as I'm home. The case has only two 5.25" drive bays, however.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

ignore this suggestion, as i just discovered that this is an exhaust fan, not an intake. my bad

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like a mod project to me, have fun go nuts

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that much maybe, the worst case would be probably drilling the front panel. I wouldn't do that by myself, though.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube