add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading my recent gaming build for future-proof-ness (?) Opinions wanted on mobo.

MylesRawr
  • 71 months ago

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to view this - all opinions are welcome as I've never really looked much into Mobo's/CrossFire/OC'ing.

My current build can be seen here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/wgdCmG

i5 4670k w/Akasa CPU cooler Asus Vanguard B85 mATX mobo 16gb Corsair Veng Pro 1866 (clocked at 1600) CL9

I'm considering upgrading the mobo to something like a Maximus VI Hero (or something similar with blue rather than red) and picking up another r9 270x for crossfire then OC'ing the CPU (maybe - will I need to upgrade the cooling? If so, what do you suggest?). I'll also need a new case (Probably Fractal R4 Window - love these!)

I want to upgrade the mobo purely so I can grab another graphics card, I'm not too fussed about anything else, overclocking is just an idea that I'd consider. It'll also be nice to not have to downclock my RAM (scan gave me the 1866 instead of 1600).

What are you opinions on doing this? Will I gain much of a gaming boost for future games/1080p ultra on current games? What sort of Mobo would you suggest? (Please try to find something blue/black or plain black/grey/white - no reds/greens etc).

Apologies if this post isn't formatted very well, I'm at work and typing this up quickly!

Thanks in advance.

Myles

P.S., just to summarize, the questions I am asking are:

Is it worth spending ~£300 on upgrading my build?

What Mobo do you recommend I upgrade to? (blue/black) if possible!

Will I gain a noticeable performance boost from 2x R9 270x (crossfire)?

Should I consider overclocking, if I do upgrade?

Will I need to upgrade my cooling if I do overclock my CPU?

Afterthought - will my 520W PSU be sufficient? I doubt it... if so, what should I consider?

With the leftover parts (case, mobo, cpu cooler, maybe PSU) I'll be building a PC for the Mrs.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Currently build (for ease of access):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For £169.38
CPU Cooler Akasa K32 56.8 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For £8.92
Motherboard Asus VANGUARD B85 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For £69.42
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory Purchased For £68.16
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory Purchased For £51.80
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For £85.49
Storage Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £75.30
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card Purchased For £150.32
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For £32.52
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For £53.42
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer Purchased For £13.18
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For £0.00
Monitor Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor Purchased For £133.49
Wireless Network Adapter D-Link DWA-125 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For £12.34
Case Fan Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-120 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For £5.20
Case Fan Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-92 24.6 CFM 92mm Fan Purchased For £4.91
Keyboard ROCCAT ISKU Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For £65.87
Mouse ROCCAT Kone[+] Wired Laser Mouse Purchased For £60.00
Headphones ROCCAT Kulo Headset Purchased For £45.00
Speakers Creative Labs Inspire T10 10W 2ch Speakers Purchased For £25.20
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1129.92

I'm going to answer as many of your questions 1 by 1 editing my post as I go.

To start, if you do plan on overclocking, I would recommend a better CPU cooler. Any corsair liquid cooler will do such as an h100i, h105, h75, etc. There closed loops so no filling, leaking, maintenance, etc to worry about.

As for overclocking it's your decision. I would say to for it since as long as you keep your temps and voltage steady, you won't hurt the CPU. I would say keep the CPU under 80 degrees Celsius and the voltage at or below 1.5v if you do decide to overclock.

Again, spending more money on your build is up to you. If you think you need more performance and don't like the way your computer has been performing, it may be worth upgrading. If your the kind of person that can play games at low-mid settings just fine, maybe not.

As for an increased performance with crossfired 270x it depends on the game. Some games do not support crossfire/sli so you will not notice a boost. In games that are optimized for nvidia, you might see a slight improvement. But for games that do supper crossfire and are optimized for radeon, you could see a major improvement.

I'm not exactly sure what your budget is but this is what I suggest. The motherboard isn't exactly what I would recommend. Normally I would recommend Asus but they don't seem to have one that fits your color scheme that has the features you need. Aside from this one, I would recommend a gigabyte board.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For £169.38
CPU Cooler Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £63.00 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £67.04 @ Scan.co.uk
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) Purchased For £150.32
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) £129.98 @ Novatech
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case £84.98 @ Novatech
Power Supply Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £83.70 @ Scan.co.uk
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £748.40
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

H80i is a waste of the money per C on the CPU cooler. If one is going to spend that much on a CPU cooler, better off going air. Could be a 5-10C difference favoring the air cooler.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

with about 10-20db increase in noise...not to mention the bulky look of a brick sticking out of the mobo. Its not a waste of money, the looks are better, its quieter, better for over clocking, and safer for the mobo if you transport it a lot. If you end up getting the larger case like you want, you can fit an h100i in there which is even better. Not sure if your case would support it, but the h110 is even better than the h100i for about $10-20 more usd.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Mattias, thank you very much for the advice. I have always had concerns about water cooling, but the Corsair H series closed modules do seem pretty straight forward!

My budget is quite flexible, I'll get whatever I need to get in order to upgrade if I decide it'll be worthwhile.

I like the look of that Mobo, but what would you suggest if I wasn't strict about blue?

How come you have picked the Corsair RM PSU? In the past I haven't heard great things about Corsair PSU's which is why I went for SeaSonic when I originally built my PC.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I've never had a bad experience nor anyone Ik that has bought a corsair psu. I've owned two (rm850 and rm1000) and both worked perfectly. Seasonic is the top of the hub when it comes to psu however. If you weren't strict in color scheme, I would recommend either the Asus z87 or z97. Probably z87 in your case. If you do buy the black pearl case, an h100i would be much better suited than the h80i.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Fantastic. Thanks for the reply! I'll get the h100i and try to get hold of a suitable PSU.

For Mobo I might just drop my colour scheme and get the z87.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure to check your case specs to see if it will fit. Pretty sure I noticed your current case won't.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Current case is mATX, I'll be getting an ATX mid tower (probably the Fractal Define R4 window) which should fit any ATX board.

Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube