add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestions Needed Please

PianoPilot
  • 71 months ago

Hi all

Newbie on here. Have put together my desired system but needing advice re the motherboard to suit the components so far. Have been researching and have a few short listed that are all very similar but from the diverse range of boards on the market for my price range of around £100, looking for personal advice inc good bad experiences.

Scenario: casual gamer, not hardcore but competent regards to over clocking and intend to do so with how easy various boards make it Budget: £120 / $190 give or take Preferable brands: ASUS OR MSI Socket: LGA 1150

THIS WILL BE MY FIRST ATTEMPT TO CUSTOM BUILD :-) SO COMPLEXITY OF SETUP IS A MAIN CONSIDERATION ALSO.

IDEAS:

ASUS Z97-A ASUS z87-A MSI Z97-g45 gaming atx MSI Z97-GD 65 MSI Z87-g45

Advice would be so much appreciated for the following:

The setup i have chosen - tips or other suggestions Z87 or Z97 chipset to go with the haswell 4th generation 4770k - wise to mix recent motherboard with last year technology processor? Any motherboard you would give good recommendation or to stay away from

And lastly, the colour of the msi boards for the ones above? Ive read their brown, but convinced they appear black? Not to major consideration but would be with led lights installed in a black case.

I appreciate any response i get to my query.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mH68bv

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Haswell Refresh processors were released after the Z87 chipsets. Verify that the BIOS version installed supports Haswell Refresh or risk joining the other members here who had to take their mobos back to the store and pay? for BIOS flashing.
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for you reply warlock. So in your opinion, the z97 chipsets would be more suited and compatible to the i7 haswell cpu?

Thanks

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • It is definitely more convenient at the very least and cost effective for new builds since I can't imagine stores flashing the BIOS for free.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube