add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thoughts on this build?

Thoughtsfromanewt
  • 71 months ago

I'm taking on building a computer as a project. My budget is $1000 but I would prefer to keep it below $900. Any thoughts or tips for a beginner?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LcFgFT

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Your way over spending on that power supply. You should look more at a 600-700w bronze rated unit for alot less money and from a top brand.

The sound card is really not needed. The motherboard has good sound built in.

The 2 140mm fans are very weak. If you want them for cooling and not just looks, get something with higher cfm rating of at least 50,though they do go alot higher also.

That ssd is meant as a cache drive, which is handy in a much more built up system... Your better off spending twice the price on at least a 120gb ssd that will be able to host your operating system, cache, and your most performance demanding applications or games (make it your main drive basically and use the other hdd for all your other storage needs).

Spend a little more on the CPU and you can get the 8320,which is a nice jump up in capability.

Also, you can spend a little less on the gpu and grab the modern version of that card, the 280,which starts at $200, or for slightly more than the card you chose, you can move up to an xfx 280x,which is a nice little boost in performance over the 7950 (or 280) and is basically a newer version of the 7970 ghz edition

This could all be done within your budget of 1000. If you trim the costs where I pointed out, you can do the upgrades at just over your current build cost and have a better system

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

+1. My two cents: If OP's build is mostly for gaming, you go Intel and get the i5 4590 for better performance in games. I agree with getting the 280 or 280x, no reason to get an older version of the same thing unless its significantly cheaper.

Just a tip, always specify what you want your computer to be for, and any preferences you have, to get the most helpful advice. Otherwise, people have to guess.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I think a Hyper 212 EVO would fit on this for only $30? Don't know AMD too well off-hand. See if you can get 2x4gb ram at 1600 with a CAS less than 11 or even less than 10 for the same price. 1600 at a CAS of 11 is the same as 1333 at a CAS of... (9 or 10 or what??) slower put it that way. For budget builds I myself wouldn't even recommend a SSD as you can get a 1tb 7200 RPM hdd for only $10 more (Seagate Barracuda). Power Supplies are the most important part of the build, but you should only get 80+ Gold or silver. Much much cheaper. try to get semi-modular or fully modular for ease of cables. Cheaper than that one you've selected too. Wattage you have should be good though. PSU's should have a wattage of roughly 20% from what i've seen/been told, just for frame of reference. Scrap the sound card, the motherboard will have 192Khz quality sound with 2.1, 4, 5.1, and 7.1, so a sound card isn't necessary. Other than that elvenson is pretty much right one about anything else.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I do intend to do some gaming on this computer. I'll try to be more specific next time.

Here are the updates: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6Z28bv

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube