add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 for new gaming build?

Stefan1015
  • 71 months ago

I am going to be building a new gaming rig and I am not sure what to choose between, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

I have never used Windows 8/8.1 however I have heard a large number of negative comments about it. Also where would be the best/cheapest place to buy a legal copy of either operating system?

Thank you for your thoughts, greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • PCPartPicker displays price checking of Windows OS. Select closest region to you then click More and under Software, select Operating Systems. Result should look like the following if United States is selected: HERE
  • Unless a miracle occurs, future is bleak for Win8/8.1, Windows 8.x goes into reverse gear... and the usual.
  • If intent on Win8.1, you can search this forum, someone posted a link for trial of Win8.1.
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx for the trial referenced by Warlock.

Windows 8.1 is really a lot better in handling system resources under the hood, but gets most of the hate from the way it presents itself(Metro.) It is very well possible to live without metro for 99% of the time though. I do have to warn that some things are tied in to the metro interface(such as bluetooth device adding, one may even consider wifi to be part of the mtro interface)

All in all, it's not that bad IMHO and you're really just getting more for your money(more metro, performance, longer support, more hate from people that don't even try Windows 8.) But the difference really is up to you, it requires a little bit of learning, but if you're the very least tech savvy you should be able to handle it without problems.(Yes, I'm saying I wouldn't expect one's grandmother to live with Windows 8)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, Windows 9 will be free to W8 users.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

AFAIK that's just a rumor. Unless you can provide a source, I cannot start telling people that.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly for gaming for now i would stay away from windows 8 and 8.1 from experince my self on numerous rigs there have been issues with past/current and new games having issues with the OS. I highly suggest sticking with windows 7 until the new windows 9 comes out for stability. The performance increase (which is not a major increase) is not worth the pain that you have to endure with 8 and 8.1 so i highly suggest sticking with 7 for now.

I will admit i miss some of the feature 8 did offer but still not worth wasting money on.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 8.1 is a bit faster in some aspects but can give you compatability problems with some older programs.

Windows 7 is more stable and has very few compatability issues.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

ive had no problems with games on windows 8 but i may just be lucky i would go with windows 7 just because it has been proven to work

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube