add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Final Gaming/Animation Build - First Build - Opinions Needed

Decadence6851
  • 71 months ago

Howdy, I'm looking to get some opinions on my final build before I go ahead and start buying all of the parts. I will be using this computer mostly for gaming as well as 3-D modeling/animation/rendering for college. All opinions are welcomed and appreciated. A similar build was suggested to me by another user on a prior post similar to this, but I've made a few changes to it.

This will be my first build, so I'd like to make sure everything goes together well. Also, I'm not too familiar with Overclocking, so it may be awhile before I look in to doing that.

Basically, here's what I'm looking to get opinions on:

Are there certain areas I should focus more on that would be beneficial to the animation/rendering side, since that's mostly what I'll be doing, or are the current parts suited for that? Is the build future-proof? (how long will it last me?) Should I invest in the Corsair H100i over the current aftermarket cooler listed? Am I getting the "best bang for my buck" with the current part selection? What parts can be changed out while still maintaining a high end performance?

I'd also like to keep a Blue/Black/White color scheme if possible.

Thanks in advance

Current Build

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

You picked very well for your needs actually. I'd grab a bit bigger psu (750w) for a bit more expansion later like more drives and accessories and such though.

To answer about the cooler, if you do plan to over clock, you will notice the extra benefits of the h100i, and it's very much worth the upgrade if that's what you plan.

For your needs though, an i7,16gb ram, and a 290 are a great combo. None of it is wasted money for what your purpose is.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thank you for your response.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't nvidia be better for animation? A 770 4gb, maybe?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No. The 290 also has 4gb but is far more powerful than a 770. It's on par with the 780,but with an extra gb of vram.

A titan would be better, but not for the cost... Similar performance but more vram than the 290.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I thought they were better optimized.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No, that's fan boy nonsense. Some apps favor one brand or another due to specific technology they utilize that each handles differently, but overall performance, these 2 cards are a pretty big gap.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube