add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would love to have suggestions on how to improve my build

Diplodicus
  • 71 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Fn4M4D

I want a high end gaming computer and I am planning to overclock it. I want to be able to run all the new games with fairly high graphics in a few years, although if you think its overkill, don't hesitate to say so.

edit- updated build

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This is probably one of the most overkill for purposes builds I've ever seen.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

get samsung evo version, you won't even notice the difference and save ~30$ except that if you're getting new OS take 8.1 works better and you can basicly set it up so you will almost always startup at desktop (+ you can get classic start for it without problems too)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If your talking about SSD, I already replaced it. Thanks for the info.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I was talking about SSD

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Overkill? Maybe. Misappropriated budget? Definitely.

Ditch the Thermal paste, you don't need it and at best it'll improve temps an additonal degree or 2 c at load.

Get a cheaper motherboard, if you need wifi buy a separate pci wireless card as it's much cheaper this way (you should save at least 50 bucks)

16gb of ram is really not worth getting. Stick with 8 and down the line (like several years maybe) it may become worthwhile to up it to 16, but for gaming now it's useless.

Drop the 840 pro down to a pny xlr8 and you'll save another 40 ish bucks (you won't notice a difference between them in real world performance anyway)

Drop the GPU. Yes the 780ti is a monster of a card, but the price is ridiculous vs the competition. You could pick up 2 290s for the same price and absolutely obliterate a 780ti.

Drop the PSU and get a larger 850w if you plan to go with dual 290s, there's the xfx and evga supernova g2 off the top of my head that should be cheaper and more wattage.

Switch to 8.1. Fact is you won't get support for dx12 in win7 and win8.1 is better in terms of performance.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Took most of your suggestions, I think I will keep the 16 gigs because I like to multitask and run some client side servers.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube