add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mobo CPU power connectors - 4-pin/8-pin

LeOrange
  • 71 months ago

Hello,

On this motherboard http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsoc the CPU supplemental power connectors are both 4-pin and 8-pin. Which do I use? Both? I checked the manual http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-soc_e.pdf and I don't believe it says anything on which (or both) I should use.

Thank you.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Holy hell.... You sure you want that thing? It's an extreme enthusiasts board...

Yes, you use the 4pin and the 8pin, and even a 6pin for extra pcie power... Make sure you pay attention to the specs on the power supply you choose so you get one with all the wires you need.... This thing is crazy. This board is not meant for normal users, it's meant for extreme over clockers, like the nitrogen cooling record setting kinda people...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply. The 6-pin on the mobo itself is recommended if you're using 2+ graphics cards. The manual specifies that at least, lol. But let's say, for example, that I wouldn't be overclocking. Would I still use both the 4-pin and the 8-pin? Thanks again.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Realistically it wouldn't be needed to have both... The 8pin should be all that's needed, however, the motherboard might require both due to its design... That's something you would need gigabyte to answer

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thank you.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't even know this thing existed till this post... Had to read up on it lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube