add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My budget is ~$2500 for a powerful gaming rig, what do you think of this?

PlayerNero
  • 71 months ago

This is the first PC i will be building, please, feel free to make suggestions on what parts i should remove/replace.

-INTEL/NVIDIA only, also I multitask ALOT so i need the extra ram and i7 chip

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PlayerNero/saved/pRn8TW

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like it's going to be a good build! Could I ask if there's any reason you're going with a 3rd gen i7 rather than 4th? Not saying I'd change it, just wondering if you have a particular reason? Apart from that looks very solid :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I looked at the differences between the one i have on the list and the i74770k and the difference for most of the games tested was minimal, although i might just go ahead and buy the 4th gen if i have the money just for future proofing.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, i just saw the price of the 4th gen and its actually only a few bucks more, i will def buy it now, thanks for the help! :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! Good luck with the build! :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Notes because I'm too lazyt o make a pcpp list (sorry :P):

Like others said may as well up to a 4770k and z87/97 motherboard

I'd drop down to 8gb of RAM, for gaming there is NO scenarios where more is required even remotely

I'd switch the 840 evo to a pny xlr8 to save a good 25 bucks. Same real world performance.

I'd drop the GPU. Yes the 780TI is the most powerful gpu available, but it's way off the scales in terms of price to performance. You could probably fit 2 290x into your build and get a ******** more performance, more vram, and all in the same price.

The corsair psu is nice, but incredibly overpriced. In that price range you can get a 1000W evga supernova g2, which is what I'd recommend if you go the route of dual 290x (which you honestly should)

Switch to windows 8.1, better performance, dx12 support.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PlayerNero/saved/pRn8TW

I changed the motherboard to be compatible with the cpu. I should have put this in the initial post but i am only looking for intel/nVidia builds. What version of win 8.1 do you recommend?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

why only nvidia?

As for 8.1 the 32/64 bit non oem

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

doubel post sorry but that motherboard is terribly overpriced.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Im looking into changing the motherboard now, and thanks. The reason i want nvidia is because ive had a bad time with amd in the past, and ive never tried nvidia so i want something new, im thinking actually for (much later) future upgrades i might get a more powerful power supply so i can install another 780ti.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well just to explain the logic behind amd, a 290x offers 95% of the performance of a 780ti for over 200 bucks less and gives you more vram.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

One 290x offers 95% or two?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're buying you're processor at Microcenter look at their bundles with motherboards they have one with the maximus 6 hero, it will save you some cash. It's not the formula but its still a very nice motherboard with lots of gaming features.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, very great motherboard, i changed it, thanks for ur help. :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at the build after your revisions,I'd say the only change I would make (taking into consideration that you want an Nvidia card) would be to get the K70 keyboard instead.It comes in Cherry MX Blue,Red or Brown(?)and it has a wrist-rest.I have the Quickfire TK,and while it's a great keyboard,I feel that if I could go back in time to when I hadn't yet bought it,I would go for the K70.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, awesome keyboard, added to the list. Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

you said $2500 but showing over $2700 did you decide to pay more? For gaming there is no need for an I7 and you spent a lot on storage so I made these changes to get you under $2500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $154.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $81.00 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $102.80 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $669.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case $129.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $59.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $94.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $359.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans $24.15 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans $24.15 @ NCIX US
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $109.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse $49.99 @ Amazon
Other Mouse Pad $29.95
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2441.92
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I multitask alot as well so thats why i want so much ram and an i7 chip, also i want to install all programs to my ssd and also games that i play normally. Is that case combined with the fans better than my current case? Because it is more expensive.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill def look into that power supply, do you think it will hold up to the same set up i currently have but instead if one, Sli 780ti?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Why the BenQ monitor? The Asus VG248QE costs about $110 less and they're basically the same.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube