add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thinking of going with this build for sub $1500 what do you think?

chowderhead1962
  • 71 months ago

I've reconfigured a system that I want to use for high end gaming and also music recording and editing. Let me know what you think. As well, I'm curious what you think regarding the Case and whether I need to buy additional fans for cooling beyond what comes stock and the Nashua CPU cooler.

thanks, David

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/chowderhead1962/saved/LfQG3C

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I'm getting there. Thus far this is what I have on my list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/chowderhead1962/saved/GLfFf7

I've purchased everything on here but the video card, cpu cooler, and disc drives.

So I need suggestions on what you think is the best video card in the R9 290 space? Ideally a card that is stable, good drivers, and is fast.

Also, should I get a GPU cooler in addition to the CPU cooler, and for an R9 290 is there one in particular that is recommended?

thanks in advance!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Three options for card:

Powercolor PCS+ (probably the coolest and quietest of the three, plain black)

Gigabyte Windforce (middle of the road, but cheapest)

Vapor X (probably tied with the PCS+ for coolest and quietest, custom vrms and pcb, most expensive)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read some bad things about the Vapor X heat dispersal. Do you know if they've sorted that out. I was considering the PC+ card, but on Newegg the reviews on that one are poor as well (though that looks like a driver/bios issue).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I read no such thing, could you link me to where you read that?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do a search in the Tom's hardware forums, there are a number of threads on it. The Tri-X gets good marks for cooling though.

www.tomshardware.com

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you could link me to a couple, I absolutely hate traversing the TH forums (used to be a regular there in the watercooling section).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the vapor x has been combined with the tri x technology? that is what I read...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

if you got the budget I would suggest getting the Sapphire Vapor X Tri X.

or The Gigabyte Windforce would be a good choice

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thanks very much for the suggestions! They're great. I had initially put in a water cooler, but was actually worried about the noise so that's why I went with the Noctua, but your suggestion makes good sense. I already have an M-Audio Delta 1010 that I like (even if it's a bit dated) for audio. It needs a PCI slot which is why I liked the Asus board, but I'll check the ECS board to see if that's workable. But you've got some great suggestions here that will save me some money, and work well. Much appreciated!!!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

might I suggest this case, I hear its one of the best for Airflow and see a lot of high end systems in it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case $129.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $129.99
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Noisy though, unless you invest in different fans than stock.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yea its true you would need like 2x2 pack Quiet or Performance Corsair 120's.. but yea I think its more I don't like Factal Design..and for 20-30 more you can get a much better case.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

h440?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Great suggestion, and I was looking at this case as well. The only knock is I hear it doesn't have great dust filtering, but I love the layout with the separate chambers. Thanks for the suggestion...definitely considering this one. Do you have one? If so do you find dust an issue?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I don't think we see enough builds with this one. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011049ww

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this case as quiet as the R4? I'd like to minimize noise, but I'm also concerned about the R4 for using a liquid cooler.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you choose the Thermaltake Water 3.0 over the Corsair H80i? While more expensive, that looks like a nice option as a CPU cooler.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope and nope and nope.

If you can fit the 120mm radiator in your case somehow, the H100i is the way to go. It's a little more costly but gives fantastic static pressure and cools like a beast. I own one and it's amazing. In quiet mode it's still very good.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't the H100i 240mm radiator? Or is there a narrower version? I was thinking of the H100i, but in looking at reviews of the R4, it's difficult to make that work with a top mount for most motherboards. I may have to purchase all of the parts but the cooler, install them and see where I'm at.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

oooooo I totally mixed that one up. Yes, it's 240mm, because it's two fans.

Here's the thing. It didn't fit in my case. I bought it and opened my case...took out my 212 EVO and realized...it didn't fit. I took out one of the fans...still didn't fit at the top of my case. When I tried to put it in, the RAM slots got on the way. I had to push it up to the very top of my case (above the RAM slots), and it was a close fit, but it fit.

The reason I so highly recommend it is that it does an amazing job of cooling. I was at 4.2Ghz on my 3570k, and running close to the throttling point. When I put the H100i in, I was able to push it to 4.5Ghz at 1.445V (bad chip), and while it ran at about 95 degrees when I ran a burn test, for ALL gaming, it never passes 75 or so. The fans aren't even maxed out. I have them at a reasonable 1700 RPM when the fans max at 2600.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of mother board do you have? I just purchased an Asus Z97-A

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube