add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$1500 monster build, opinions wanted!

liquidarchon
  • 71 months ago

I'll be building this build this week if a deal I have goes through and I want to know what you guys think :) Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $159.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard $128.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $152.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $109.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $629.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1554.90

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Solid build. I'd consider dropping to 8 gb ram and adding a ssd with the money.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never been a huge fan of SSD's, they are lightning fast but until I can get cheap TB SSD's they just aren't worth the hassle of constantly trying to manage files so they have space.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD for video's, more than enough space and so worth the cost, no hassle at all. I would never go back to not having an SSD.

Also Windows 8 sucks, if you want less hassle go with windows 7 64 bit but not home premium, get pro or ultimate. Premium only recognizes 16GB of Ram max.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're using over 16 gb's of ram you should be getting the pro or ultimate anyways. I love windows 8 i've never had a problem. Saying windows 8 sucks is an opinion and it's probably because you can figure out how to use it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Like I said it's personal opinion I just know that most game dev's, PC professions, pc gamers, consider it a terrible operating system. Is why Win 8 sales are so low and Win 7 are so high. It's just my personal opinion though and it's up to each persons choice.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Well heres' the thing:

Game devs don't say they prefer windows 7 (last I checked), neither do PC professionals (if you mean businesses it's because they are literally the slowest to adopt new systems out of fears of compatibility), PC gamers universally will recommend 8/8.1 if they know what they're talking about because it does have better performance and directx 12 support.

As for windows sales being low and 7 being high there's a lot going on in there that really skews things. Windows 7 was released at a time when pc sales were still flat/growing whereas windows 8 has been out during a time of pc sales decline.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I also have loads of external and pen drives for media, photos and video editing etc.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

1.) The cooling seems like a bit overkill unless you plan on over clocking. 2.) I would reccomend an intel cpu such as the 4690 instead if you can afford it. 3.) The twin Frozr GPU should be $30 cheaper look again through a filtered search (filter: 780 ti, sort: price)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I only buy through newegg thats why you're seeing it $30 cheaper somewhere else. I have never been a fan of Intel chips for gaming they are a waste of money to add 10-15 fps on average. Also, I do plan on overclocking heavily.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ik the 8 cores sounds super attractive but they are not as useful as you would assume. They are however good for programs such as photo-shop and video filtering and editing, but intel cpu's can handle that as well.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 5 builds at my house 3 of which have i7's 2 of which have FX-8350's. In most games I see maybe a 1% improvement over AMD. Definitely not worth the money.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU: Go for the i5-4790 instead. CPU cooler: Why go for that one if you aren't going to be overclocking? A hyper evo 212 would suffice for an example. Mother board: Fine, but if you were to go with a haswell CPU like I recommended then I'd recommend the Asus Z97-A. Memory: I'd recommend going down to just 8gb since you are only going to be gaming. Also why not go for something like the crucial ballistix sport 8gb 1600mhz or 1866mhz? It's much cheaper and you could use that leftover money for the i5-4790k and the asus z97-a motherboard. Storage: You should add an SSD. PSU: Seasonic is the best PSU brand out there. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12g750 try this one maybe :)

These are just MY recommendations and what I have heard is the best. I am NOT by any means an expert what so ever. But this is at least what I believe would be good.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You've got some really goods ideas dont get me wrong, but being a computer hardware engineer I have a better understanding of things like this. Why would I pay more for an i5 when the only thing I would get would be better single-core performance (games are using up to 8 cores nowadays anyway). If you read my previous comments I said that I will be heavily overclocking. I have used the corsair power supplies over 100+ times and never had a hiccup so im going to stick with them.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Allright then :) But what about what I said about the motherboard, memory, storage and PSU?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard is good but I wont get an intel so it doesnt really help me, the memory is OK but not at a quality level that Ripjaws is, and G Skill is like 2 dollars more. I don't like SSD's because they are a hassle, and I love corsair PSU's never had a problem in over 100 builds.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $144.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $69.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard $128.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $102.80 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $349.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $349.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply be quiet! Power Zone 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $100.00 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1500.71

Also for the GPU you could spend 12 bucks more total and get arguably the best cooler for the 290/290x with the powercolor pcs+, or spend 50 more and get twin frozrs.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I only buy from newegg but this looks good. I need a liquid cooler for overclocking so that wont work. Also I have never liked the Be Quiet! PSU's

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

the phanteks will perform on par with the h100i in terms of cooling.

As for the bequiet psu, they're actually fairly well reviewed: http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/be-quiet-powerzone-650w-psu-review/7/

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I still think I would go with the H100i just for the fact that it takes up so little room inside the case, and for someone like me who's always tinkering it can become a problem.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I would defo add 250-500+GB SSD, maybe get Win 7 pro / ultimate 64 bit instead of 8 but thats a personal choice, maybe add some extra 120/140 fans if you plan to overclock but again personal choice, maybe go for a full tower for more upgrade room later on, again personal choice, don't forget decent thermal paste, really important for lowering heat on cpu. Add a optical DVD drive again personal choice. Maybe add a wireless adapter, nice to have even if you use wired networking.

Other than that is really solid build. Good luck :)

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

the reason i don't recommend win7 is because you don't get directx 12 support. So far DX12 has only officially been stated to be supported by 8/8.1, and the supposed performance improvements they've shown so far make it a considerably plus to have.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

looks fine to me. i agree with most of the other suggestions (ssd, intel cpu, etc. etc.), but you seem pretty adamant on your choices for the build so not gonna bother trying to convince you. maybe add some after market fans? the stock fans aren't bad, but added airflow isn't bad either.

lol i'd probably go for SLI if i truly wanted a "monster" build though. in turn, you'd need a better PSU as well, but i'm not too sure what this build will be used for, and not sure what type of feedback you'd want about the build.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I'm sorry about saying so little in the description. It's going to be a gaming build. SLI and a better PSU will come later, probably around the release of NVIDIA's 8-Series GPU's.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

ahhh sounds like a good plan! good luck with your build! sure it will be a beaut!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube