add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first build! Please give suggestions and your opinions! Thank you!

Hardhitter
  • 71 months ago

Hi guys, I'm pretty new at building my own computer and this will be the desktop that I will build. Please look over this list and see if you have any suggestion for me. I know it says all parts are compatible, but I know this isn't 100% accurate all the time. If you see any incompatibility, please let me know! Thank you very much for helping a nooblet.

Here is the link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hardhitter/saved/7dGnTW

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey, I took a look and changed a few things.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VskjBm

CPU: The processor is excellent, and should give you all of the power that you need, although I'm not entirely sure what you want to do with this build. But either way, you shouldn't be held back by it at all.

CPU Cooler: I went ahead and changed it to the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK, which should cool your CPU much better than the CM Hyper 212 Evo, especially if you're going to do some overclocking. (Matches the color of the new motherboard too)

Motherboard: The Sabertooth is a very nice board, but a little pricey. The Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 is an excellent motherboard as well, cheaper (though not to say worse), has two more SATA3 connectors, allows for 4-way Crossfire or SLI (though I don't recommend going that route) and allows for slightly faster memory. If price isn't a factor, and you picked the Sabertooth purely for aesthetics, that's fine too.

RAM: I left the RAM alone. "Ram is ram," as the saying goes.

Storage: The 3TB Seagate is still there, but I also added in the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD. I highly recommend keeping the SSD for your OS and other applications.

Video Card: The GTX 780 is fantastic card overall. If you're looking to go the 1440p route (and especially if you want to do 4K gaming), I might recommend getting a second card to go with it, but that's up to you.

Case: The Define R4 is a great case. Not much else to say about it that hasn't already been said.

Power Supply: The Corsair AX760 is an excellent PSU and should give you more than enough power if you add in a second 780 down the road.

These changes are completely optional though, and I recommend getting more feedback and reading reviews on any parts you consider buying. I'm not entirely sure on the sound card, to be honest. If you're looking for high-quality audio you might want to consider buying a DAC instead (I'm not an audio expert by any means though, so please do your research.) Other than that, unless you need this build right now, I recommend waiting. The new X99 chipset from Intel is coming out later this year, and even if you don't want to go with that, it's release should drive down some of the prices of these components.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Your suggestions are excellent and they will surely save me some money. I plan to use this for gaming and video editing. I will read more about the sound card because I wasn't sure what to pick (I never dealt with sound card before and I will probably have to ask some experts). Thank you for your time and assistance!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I see how necessary is the SSD now. Thank you very much!

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not necessary, per-say, but once you have one and have used it for a while, you'll never want to go back to a mechanical hard drive again. The Crucial MX100 256GB is a little cheaper, if that's what you're after.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted".

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there, I might be wrong (haven't build a computer before, hence why I just put something up myself on the forums about my build) but I think you can drop the thermal paste (I believe the Hyper 212 Evo comes with thermal paste pre-applied onto the bottom, though you might wanna check that). You can also drip the Ethernet card because the Asus Sabertooth X79 comes with onboard Ethernet, but this depends on of you intend to be connected to two networks at the same time. Hopefully this helps, just throwing my initial ideas out there.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for the suggestions! God bless!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Tells us what you plan to use it for. That will help people advise you on part choices. Unless you're doing some pretty intense stuff, you can probably go Haswell instead of Ivy-E. It will save you alot of money.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there! I plan to use it for gaming and video editing. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do edit videos from time to time. I have about $2000 to spend on a tower and I'm looking at all my options. Thank you for your feedback!

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

When you say you edit videos from "time to time" and the fact that you're only putting 16gb of ram in the system... I'm guesing that it's not a proffession or anything that produces a profit. This would be a reason I would reccommend the 4930K it has extra cores and this platform will allow you to use more ram(64gb) than say haswell(32gb). Therefore, it will out perform haswell in rendering especially. But personally, if viedo editing is a hobby and isn't going to produce an income to offset the extra cost of the x79 platform, I would probably go with something like this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Mb62WZ

Gives you an extra $200 to play with or pocket. You could probably also lose the soundcard or atleast put it off and try the onboard sound first. z97 Asus boards of this quality should have good sound. You could change the gpu to a 290X or even a 780 Ti if you wanted and get better gaming performance. Or you could go ahead and get another 16gb of ram if you wanted more to help with your editing.

Like I said though this isn't going to render video quite like the 4930K, but it will still get the job done and done well. Just another option.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for saving me a couple hundred bucks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube