add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build ~$1000

zstafs
  • 71 months ago

I am finally ready to get into PC gaming and want to build my own PC. Tell me what you think of my build and if there is any tweaks/recommendations that I should consider. I have a hard drive, blu ray drive, and Windows 7 already so no need to purchase those. Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/zstafs/saved/fWK2FT

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • CPU - unless there is a good deal on Haswell, why not to go for the latest Devil's Canyon? I am talking about i5-4690k. z97 mobo's are also not expensive and stand at the same price point as z87.

• RAM - get these guys. Better performance for less money.

• SSD - especially for gaming, there is no reason to go for Pro version. Save yourself some money, get Evo.

• HDD - 120 gb certainly won't be enough for the system. Get WD Blue 1tb

• GPU - I would recommend picking up r9 290; either Sapphire TriX or Powercolor PCS+ model. Recently they dropped in price significantly (thanks to the bitcoin rush being over), so you can pick it up for ~$340 and get performance of gtx 780 or better, depending on a task.

• CPU cooling - I don't have experience with Noctua myself, but from what I hear D14 is the best air cooler out there. In your position it seems to worth spending extra 10 bucks to get the top of the line cpu cooling.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the good advice. I guess I wasn't to clear with my HDD. I have a 500gb from a computer where my motherboard crapped out on me along with Windows 7 and blu ray drive. I know I will need more storage eventually but 500gb should be good until I get more $$$. Thanks again! Very helpful!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, missed when you mentioned you already have an hdd, my bad.

And you're welcome, happy building!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube