add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which CPU would work better for this build?

PlayerNero
  • 71 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PlayerNero/saved/t2jNnQ

Its between the 4770k and the 4790k for now, i plan to game and multitask.

I know the 4790k is faster, but are there any downsides? Like is the overclooking not as easy or effective?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The 4790K overclocks way better, the only downside is that the 4770K is cheaper.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yep the 4790k is the much better option, its newer/faster/and runs cooler for very little budget difference.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, unless $50 makes a difference in an i7 PC

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

So the only downside is that it costs more?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a bit of a caveat here:

Yes it does run faster, but if you plan to overclock that becomes negligible. Fact is every review to date has managed to only get equivalent overclocks on the 4790k vs the 4770k. As for the temperature difference it's marginal at a few degrees celsius at best.

Yes the 4790k is better, but barely.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm I though the fact that it ran cooler would produce a better OC.. I am getting the I5 version but the difference is like $20

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference in temps is not enough to make it so it will be able to get a higher overclock.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, then ill def be getting the 4790k, thanks

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

no problem :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube