add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
  • 71 months ago

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/794/saved/nrWBD3

For a friend. I personally think he should at least get an i5 cpu, but he doesn't want to pay the price. All in all, looks pretty decent still. Wondering if perhaps the PSU is a bit overkill?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for posting, since there are some things that can be improved of the partslist you set up for your friend. Yes, the PSU is a bit overkill. Here's my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $235.99 @ NCIX
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $41.98 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $104.99 @ NCIX
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ NCIX
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ NCIX
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card $259.98 @ Amazon Canada
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $122.00 @ shopRBC
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1089.89

And changes I've made (removed the peripherals btw, since I'm not going to make changes or suggestions to those):

• CPU: The i5 will offer much better performance than the i3, and at a $1000 budget, I don't see why you wouldn't get it.
  • Heatsink: $100 for a heatsink when you obviously aren't going to overclock the build? Since it's apparent you want an aftermarket heatsink for your friend's build, I put in a much cheaper Hyper 212 EVO that will provide better cooling than the stock heatsink without breaking the bank or budget.
  • Motherboard: Changed to a slightly cheaper motherboard. It's reliable, so unless you were getting the ASRock for aesthetics, don't worry about it.
  • RAM: Changed to a slightly cheaper set, since faster RAM doesn't necessarily improve performance very much.
  • Storage: Changed the HDD. $75 for a 750gb HDD was a bit much, and the barracuda is a reliable HDD. A bit cheaper than the caviar blue.
  • Videocard: The 660 is last gen, the 760 I put in its place will perform a bit better due to being current gen.
  • PSU: Put in a reliable seasonic unit that is cheaper.

It comes out to about $30 more, but if your friend is getting stuck over the $30 difference, please tell him that it's better that he just saves his pennies for a week or two longer to get a part that will offer much better performance.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, sent him this post for him to read up on. Definitely agree on the PSU, and yeah I don't know why I didn't add the 760 instead. I'll see what he thinks about the motherboard. His case does have a window so he may want the red.

Good point about the CPU cooler though. Guess I was going a bit overkill right there. Glad you could fit an i5 in there.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay this is what it looks like now.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/794/saved/4QBhP6

Didn't notice that monitor wasn't even 1080p, currently looking for a different one.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks pretty much good. I hope your friend enjoys the build!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed! It's his first gaming PC, he's only stuck with consoles this whole time. He's a bit shocked at the price but I am convincing him it's worth it.

(The total price after adding Canadian Taxes and shipping is $1,374.09. And that doesn't yet include the monitor, keyboard/mouse)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The partslist you have up includes the mouse/keyboard though. If your friend does want to reduce the price, don't worry about getting top end peripherals. Spending $40-60 on both the mouse and keyboard is fine.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, oops haha didn't realize. Yeah that much on peripherals isn't really a big deal. I don't think he's worried that much.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Spending too much in peripherals when he can put that money in more important things (CPU and GPU)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube