add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any improvements or problems with my build?

princetimmeh
  • 71 months ago

Like a lot of other people on this forum I'm about to do a ~$1000au build. Mine is a little different as I went ahead and researched all the components and then tried to choose a mobo :/ I also have a couple of questions, as I plan to utilise my pc a bit differently from most. I intend to use it as a photo/video editing & 3D modeling machine first and a gaming rig second.

THE BUILD

• $55 Bitfenix Comrade Mid-tower White Case
  • $105/$80 Corsair CX600M OR Silverstone strider 600w 80+ bronze
  • $369 Galaxy GeForce GTX 770 2GB
  • $109 Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz cl9
  • $64 Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
  • $88 Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • $242/$269 Intel i5 4670 OR 4670k
  • $118/$119 MSI B85-G43 OR Gigabyte GA-Z87M-HD3 mobo

Build total $1125/$1178 au

1- Is buying OC parts worth the extra coin? I found that the general consensus is that OCing 4th generation intel's is generally not worth the hassle. I also was thinking about sli'ing the gtx 770 in 3 or so years, so that I can get a little more performance out of it down the line. This means that I will need to buy slightly more capable parts and would be more expensive. Worth it?

2- As I said earlier, I left my choice of mobo until last and now I'm not sure what I should go with. I can get a non OC mobo for a little less but I really want to make sure that the system is the best value for the money (if you couldn't already tell :P).

If you got this far, thank you for taking the time to help me out I really appreciate it! This is my first pc build as I got sick of my 15.6" laptop that can't play anything in more than low to moderate settings (which actually isn't that bad in retrospect). I was about to go out and buy a variation of the parts listed here today, but then I realised I have little to no idea of what I'm doing haha! I'm happy to put more money into the build if it's going to make it substantially better but I'm really focusing on the 'value for money' aspect.

Thanks again!

By the way I forgot to mention that I will eventually be using this in a setup similar to this: http://nerdbusiness.com/articles/nerd-office-setups/img/DSC01034Custom.jpg Thoughts or comments?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

$370 for 8gb of ram...what

That's way to much money for ram with your budget. I wouldnt spend to much more than $100 on 8gb of ram expecially with your budget.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops got the ram and graphics card prices the wrong way around. I'll change that now :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube