add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feeling compelled to pull the trigger...on this music production build, of course.

bigblackcash
  • 71 months ago

Please make swiss cheese of this if you would be so kind: $1400+ Music Production Build

• It will be a music production build running Cubase 7.5 and (more importantly) Komplete 9 Ultimate.
  • I included the GTX 750 Ti simply to have a good-bang-for-my-buck GPU to allow some gaming, video streams, etc.
  • I'm not likely to overclock but wanted to leave the option open for myself.
  • I'm not planning on expanding much at all so mATX works for me.
  • I already have peripherals (keyboard, mouse, studio monitors, audio interface, etc.)
  • There are some small add-ons I'll make later (card reader, extra case fans, etc.)
  • I'm pretty confident the 550W PSU will be plenty sufficient, but I'm wondering if maybe a 650W would be a better option or overkill.

Some good rebates and promos (on the GPU and case especially) are compelling me start buying, hence this post seeking advice. Just want to make sure I'm not about to step in any holes I can't see if I do.

Thank you all.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not really that good of a deal on the GPU.. or the case. I've seen the same case go for $75 and a virtually identical GPU go for $100.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true. Seems to be prices at this point. There is a $25 rebate on the GPU that isn't showing up in the parts list though (if you happened to not have seen it).

Due to other sales, my software purchases are happening in the next week or two, so that's the other driving factor.

Thanks.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For that GPU price, I have a few more powerful options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131578&cm_re=radeon_6970-_-14-131-578-_-Product 2 generations outdated but still very capable and more powerful than the 750 Ti.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7260x2gd5oc Similar performance, but cheaper.

Basically, save money and get equal or better performance.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Good suggestions.

The only thing putting me off about them is the increased wattage over the 750 Ti. My only concern at that point would be whether my 550W PSU option would still be sufficient.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Just for reference, I use an HD 6950 with a 500W PSU. Yours should be plenty for a 6970 or 260X.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good then. I'll take the other cards into consideration over the next little while here. Thanks.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice build. You will be happy with that CPU. Why 2 1TB drives instead of single 3 or 4TB? Those project files love to eat up free space.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

Well, since I won't be program-heavy (this will almost strictly be for audio stuff) my plan is to put the programs on the SSD, the sample libraries on one of the 1TB and then use the other for project files, audio stems, etc.

I've already got a couple externals for backing things up and I think the HDD size will only be a problem if I somehow talk myself into blowing more money on VSTi bundles in the future.

Also, I guess I just feel more comfortable having two drives instead of one so that I won't feel so bad if one dies.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube