add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build, Opinions??

AdamWilkinson096
  • 71 months ago

Hi guys,

My son wants a gaming machine, and not interested in Xbox and PS4 etc. Below is what I have kind of researched and think would be a fairly good system for him, budget is fairly tight but I would like your opinions on my build.

CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor £70.20

Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard £68.98

Memory Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 £68.14

Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £58.61

Video Card Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card £149.99

Case Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case £49.20

Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £49.93

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £79.16

Circa £600

Thoughts?

Cheers

Adam

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey man good job you did some great research! All of your parts are great. I was able to move some things around, and switch up some parts with lower prices but the same quality. This allowed me to upgrade the system quite a bit :). the UK has the best prices for windows 7 professional so you'll want to go with that instead of 8.1. In my opinion is 100x better anyways they screwed windows 8 up, especially for gaming... Got you a MUCH better GPU which if your son is gaming is the most important thing in the build. You also didn't have enough hard drive space so I kept your SSD but added in a HDD (he will put music, movies, applications, and games he doesn't play much on this drive). Make sure he does that or his SSD will be filled up in probably less than a week. I still stayed under your budget too! Enjoy :)!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor £70.20 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard £39.76 @ CCL Computers
Memory Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £52.98 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £58.61 @ Scan.co.uk
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £36.00 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card £200.59 @ Aria PC
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case £22.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £46.38 @ Scan.co.uk
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £59.00 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £586.51
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, and thanks for the reply, am I losing anything over switching motherboards? also, will the Ram swap from 2133 to 1600 have a noticeable impact?

I have already purchased the Zalman case and PSU as these I thought wouldn't really make much of an impact on the build, given the PSU is a 600W i think it should cover most eventualities?

Cheers

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

First question are you losing anythnig? The answer is YES, anything important? Not really. The main things you will be losing here is the ability to crossfire (not really needed as your card will be fast enough for a very long time and by the time it isn't you'll have to buy a new board anyway's). You are also losing the ability to use up to 32GB of RAM, also useless as you won't be using anywhere near this and by the time you do you will have to upgrade the board.

Second question: No you will not see a noticeable impact. After 1600 the increases are very minimal, in gaming you don't see them at all. Maybe 1-2 FPS? Whereas the difference in GPU's 270x vs 280x would have a difference of 20fps.

Third question: yes it should and the case is fine so is the PSU

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

ohai adam. what is the budget? you have a pretty solid build there, might be able to go a little less on mobo and RAM, but overall that's a pretty decent build!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, dont really want to push beyond £600 (about $1030) at current exchange rates.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, including the case and psu that you already bough i came out to 667GBP (US keyboard lol). I wasn't sure if you were including those in your budget, but I was going for an AMD build with a 290. which basically means downgrade the GPU and you should be able to hit the price mark you want. also the RAM i picked is uber fast and cheap for some reason. It was only $4 more expensive than most of the DDR3-1600MHz ram, so, score! I hope this helps you somewhat

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube