add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion On My ~$900 Part List

NascarBoy119
  • 71 months ago

Hi all. I'm new to the PCPartPicker Forums. I have using the site for about 2 months now. I'm planning on building my first gaming PC. Now, I have done my homework on this and I think I have finally a winning combination. Once I get the parts, I plan on overclocking the CPU (AMD FX 9370) to 4.8 GHZ. Also the RAM would be overclocked to 2133 MHZ if needed, and the GPU to 1.13 GHZ (Core Clock). I plan on running all games on ultra. The game I would probably run most on this computer would be GTA V when it comes out of course. If I get this build, I'll plan on getting another card in the future at some point for CrossfireX. I'd also raise the CPU clock to 4.9 or 5.0 GHZ to compensate.

Here is the part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NascarBoy119/saved/pqJkcf

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

For gaming, I don't think the processor you chose probably will offer much performance improvement over the 8320 or 8350. Changed it and added a better cooler. Also with the money saved I upped you to a r9 290. I'm not able to find alot on Azza's psu's personally I would feel more comfortable with Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, or EVGA. The Azza might be fine, but this 850 80+ Gold should be plenty, but if you added another 290 down the road you might want 1000 just to have extra headroom. But I believe your gaming performance will be better with this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yhNst6

I didn't add a hdd because you left one off initially. If you decide to deffinitely go with dual 290s I might would go with this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g11000vr

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd drop down to the 8320 cpu, which can over clock very well... Use that extra cash on a 290gpu, which is far more powerful. As for the psu, if you plan to crossfire, that's a good size, but I'm a bit iffy on that brand...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the opinions so far, guys. I see that you both have said that I should downgrade from the FX-9370 to the FX-8320. I have one concern though, is it powerful enough. Now at days we have games that are very CPU intensive. One of these games is probably going to be GTA V when it comes out in the fall. I want to max this, along withother current games out. Is 3.5 GHZ going to cut it, even with the R9 290? I personally think not. I mean, if the R9 290 is such a huge improvement over the R9 280X, I might go over my budget and pair it with the FX-8350 instead.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The fx series cpu's have great overclocking abilities. you just need a decent cooler. the 212 will do for now. You will definitely want some liquid cooling in there for big overclocks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VGkbTW

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the FX series has great overclocking capability, that's one of the reasons why I chose it. But enough the 8320 only coming with 3.5 GHZ stock, that seems a bit low considering all the CPU intensive games out now.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I've spent some time thinking about this. I've decided to raise my budget to $960 MAX. With the $50 more I'm going to spend, I've upped my 280X to a 290 for a big performance boost. It will also probably help when I CrossfireX them in the future. The build can be found here.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

BUMP

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming this is a pure gaming/general use build since "I plan on running all games on ultra."

The extra money can be spent on a GPU upgrade a few years down the road or an r9 290x now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $180.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $77.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $369.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case $56.99 @ Mac Mall
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Amazon
Other Western Digital 150 GB HDD (x3) Purchased
Other Acer eMachines Optical Drive Purchased
Other 90mm Case Fan Purchased
Other Western Digital 500GB HDD w/ Windows 8 Purchased
Other 120mm Case Fan (x3) Purchased
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $885.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-22 22:59 EDT-0400

Primary components:

Graphics card: Kept your card.

Power supply: I haven't heard of your PSU's manufacturer so I changed it for a SeaSonic. They are very reliable.

On paper, a brand new* 850 W PSU can barely power this build with an additional r9 290. However, I have the same card with a similar i5 and I have yet to go over 250 W playing Metro: Last Light.

If you're really, really concerned that it won't be enough, consider the Corsair RM1000 if and only if it's manufactured by a good OEM. Corsair PSU's are all over the place in quality and I cannot find the OEM for the RM series.

Secondary components:

CPU: The individual cores in the CPU you chose are so weak that you'll have a hard time keeping up with dual 290's, or even a single-card GPU upgrade, in a few years.

The i5 4460 won't bottleneck the graphics card and will last a couple** 2.5 year graphics card upgrades.

RAM: Super-fast system RAM doesn't help with gaming on a discrete card.

This Crucial Ballistix Sport kit is name brand, cheap, CAS 9, 1600 MHz, 1.5V. No ridiculously tall heat sink. RAM is RAM.

Motherboard: There's no need to spend $135 on a motherboard:

This $75 motherboard has all solid capacitors and it's name brand. It has most if not all of the quality components listed in Everything You Need to Know About The Motherboard Voltage Regulator Circuit. Any similar board by MSI, Gigabyte, etc. would be fine too.

* All PSU's lose output over time.

** Probably 2 upgrades, not 3, but an OC'd i7 4xxx wouldn't get you 3 either.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube