add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[Win8.1] Enabling better searching through the Metro UI

LeMonarque
  • 71 months ago

I just finished a build for a friend recently and one of the issues we were having was not really being able to find anything when typing in search keywords in Metro. Usually you can just start typing something like "sleep" and Windows will bring up the shortcut for your sleep settings page. This wasn't working for him. He couldn't set his power management, sleep settings, or even find some of his school files...

Yesterday he had to reinstall Windows 8.1 because his university antivirus (Trend Micro) screwed with his system and wouldn't uninstall. While installing 8.1 this time around he linked his OS to an email account during the installation process. ...And boom, this time everything showed up in his searches as they were supposed to. I just shook my head and inwardly cursed Microsoft for being so cheap and limiting functionality when they don't have your email...

TL;DR - if you're having problem searching for stuff on your Windows 8/8.1 PC, link your OS to an email account and searching will function normally.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought that was my imagination cause I had one install I decided not to link it to my Microsoft account and the search functionality seemed broken and I formatted an started over and I linked it and it worked. I am glad that it was not my imagination, and mad because that is 3 hours i will never get back.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it's pretty stupid. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first. Changed how I think of Microsoft.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube