add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building a System to Last 5-10 yrs

dmeech
  • 71 months ago

Hey Guys,

As title says, decided to build a system for my parents vs them buying one. They get a new computer every 5-7 yrs and usually drop $1,500-$2,000 on whatever Costco has - So I decided to take a different approach and build one for them.

This will be my first build - Trying to put together something that will last = focus on higher end components which with the hopes they will still be relevant 5-10 yrs down the line.

System Used For:

Streaming Internet Video - Hulu/Netflix/Plex/Youtube General browsing Light Photoshop Downloading VLC - mkvs, avis etc

The system is probably extreme OVERKILL for what they will be using it for, but the idea is for it to be able to keep up 7-10yrs down the line.

What you think? Any suggestions on video cards? Water cooling needed if not doing any OC? Want something that wont sounds like a wind-tunnel when running.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qhm7GX Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qhm7GX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.03 @ Amazon) CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($75.76 @ Amazon) Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($8.45 @ Amazon) Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Newegg) Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($178.60 @ Amazon) Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($178.60 @ Amazon) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($151.53 @ Amazon) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.99 @ B&H) Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($394.98 @ SuperBiiz) Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($162.36 @ Amazon) Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.81 @ Amazon) Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($55.90 @ OutletPC) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg) Total: $2034.87 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say you can better just go with a i5 ore a xeon maby and upgrade later down the road with the z97 board also 8gb of ram is enoug for sometimes and can again be upgraded later. I wouldent pickup a videocard but the 750ti is a solid choiche You dont need a watercooler the hyper 212 evo should be more than enough

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for reply!

I'm going for a set it and forget it type of build. Not familiar with the Xeon processors though - I know they are awesome for crunching data sets and in servers, not sure how they are in everyday.

Will a gtx 750 last 5-10 yrs performance wise for basic things?

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

The xeon is basicly a i7 minus the integrated grapchis and can't be overclocked.

The gtx 750 ti will last you for the basic tasks and has realy good power consumpsion as well

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For what they use it for I would go with integrated graphics for now. I guess you could do an i7 for more longetivity but I would buy an unlocked chip, a h97 board, and use the stock cooler. I mean are your parents really gonna need to overclock to watch their hulu and youtube vids.... i mean come on bro lol. 16gb of ram? 4gb will be fine for now with the exception of light photoshop use, 8gb for that and just because it seems to be a sweet price spot.

I wouldn't buy anything for a computer and EXPECT it to last for 10 years, especially this stuff that they are never going to get their money's worth out of it. I would build them somthing that will do what they need it to do, and upgrade it for them as it needs upgrading, you don't want them wasting their money on a pc from costco, so don't waste it on what you build them either. I mean Jesus dude $162 for a case for basically a web browsing pc. I mean if they picked it out and are cool with that fine. Personally, my parents would be like, build me the cheapest thing you can that will get the job done and then keep it running for as long as possible for a cheap as you can.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points
  • i5-4790K
  • 8 RAMs, and you can find DDR3-2400 cas 10 cost effectively if you have some patience and are trying
  • CM Hyper 212 EVO (a liquid cooler may leak in 7 years...)
  • Ditch the Arctic Silver
  • Integrated graphics
  • Lower priced PSU based on wattage... probably 430-500W would be plenty
  • Corsair 330R

Also, convince them to spend less and upgrade more often. Nothing that is out there today will be relevant in ten years. Will it be usable for 5-7? Probably. But for what the 'rents use it for they won't know the difference between an i7 and an i5 either way.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube