add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Maximus V Gene

Manic_M88
  • 86 months ago

I was wondering whether this mother board would be a good gaming motherboard, as that is almost all I am going to use the computer for, or to go for the ROG MVF. If you have any better suggestions than these two, please let me know. Furthermore, it should be noted that my budget is $1300-$1500 not including the ssd as my mother's agreed to buy that for me.

Comments

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

fwiw the asus rog v gene is the only matx board worth mentioning - at least if you are working with a small case and looking to pack as much oomph into it as possible.

from what i understand the board is designed with overclockers in mind and the benefits of this are large heat-sinks and a user friendly bios.

i know i will probably never use the board to it's full potential but this doesn't bother me in the least. it's a board that will fit my box and meet/exceed my needs for a price that i can live with.

check out my 1155 parts list if you are looking for ideas. i think i have it figured out ok except for the gpu. there is this really nice/expensive msi twin frozr 680 that a friend is trying to get me to buy - the sensible choice might be gigabyte geforce gtx 670

radeon---->nvidia----->radeon------>nvidia

• 86 months ago
  • 0 points

A "gaming" motherboard is marketing ********. Buy whatever motherboard fills your needs and spend the rest of the money of the GPU/CPU, which REALLY matter.

• 86 months ago
  • 2 points

In my opinion, as limited as it is, a gaming motherboard is one with good overclocking capabilities and has a healthy amount of features that would be useful to the hardcore gamer. So, I must ask that you refrain from making a comment that is not helpful to the thread.

• 86 months ago
  • -1 points

I don't mean to come off as offensive, my apologies.

While I am willing to admit that the Gene provides a great quality Micro ATX option, I still think that it would be much better to spend less there and spend it where it will actually make a bit of difference.

I am asking an honest question here: Does the Gene actually provide any noticeable increase in gaming performance?

From my perspective: No. Not when you could spend $40-$60 less on the motherboard and get the next tier up of GPU.

• 86 months ago
  • 2 points

As I mentioned in my last post, I consider my knowledge quite limited. So please inform me what motherboard you think would compete with MVG while being significantly cheaper, for I am completely open minded. If it isn't too much trouble, I would also like to know why you consider it better. Your help is very much appreciated.

• 86 months ago
  • -1 points

Just take a look at the product pages for the MVG and the P8Z77-M PRO. I could only find a few differences, which were pretty minuscule. It was really just the SATA 6GB/s ports and the integrated sound. That certainly isn't going to make gaming much better is it? Now notice the $50 price difference. Do you really want to pay that premium because you THINK it is better for gaming? That $50 could be used for a better GPU, which is the MOST important part of any gaming rig.

Here is the marketing page for the MVG: https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_V_GENE/

Read it and ask yourself if the premium is worth a slightly lower ping.

• 86 months ago
  • 2 points

I looked at the boards and I decided that I'm probably going to go with the MVG just because it comes with a mPCIe combo, a better audio solution, no old connectors such as VGA, and better overclocking features. I am willing to pay the extra cash for these features, plus the board just looks great. I really do appreciate your help though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube