add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mid/High End Build, Want Mobo Recommendations, Compatibility and Bottleneck Warnings

Qdox
  • 71 months ago

Build is for straight up gaming, no mining or video processing or anything.

I think this makes sense but I'm useless at picking an SSDs, mobos, and cases. Can I get some recommendations there?

Don't care too much about price efficiency. I am interested in moderately overclocking the CPU, nothing crazy.

I'm thinking 8GB RAM may be too little but that's probably just me worrying for no reason.

Overall it's pretty average from what I've seen, just want to make sure all the parts fit together.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.95 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $84.99 @ Memory Express
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $179.99 @ Memory Express
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.79 @ DirectCanada
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $149.79 @ DirectCanada
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $104.99 @ Canada Computers
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card $389.99 @ NCIX
Case Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case $114.98 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ Memory Express
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.75 @ Vuugo
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1549.21

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless you are going to do extreme video editing or 3D modeling work 8 gigs work perfectly like you said. The i5 you chose is perfect for gaming as it is an unlocked processor and can over clock. Again since you aren't video processing or anything you don't need the extra cores of a i7. This Hero you chose has an LGA 1150 so it'll fit. Your mobo is atx and so is your case. Your CPU is not going to bottleneck GPU and vice versa. This really isn't necessary but if you are planning to crossfire or put two graphics cards in the future it would be good if you got a higher watt power supply. Overall your build is great. If you need an how-to on actually how to put you PC together I would watch Newegg's 3 part video series on how to build a computer. It includes all the parts you need to build the PC (the ones you already have), how to install the parts in the computer and how to configure the BIOS in the motherboard as well as downloading your operating system. Happy Building!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet, thanks for the help, just what I wanted to hear. I don't plan on crossfire, not a particular fan of it, but thanks for the concern.

Any chance an upgrade to an H100i cooler would be worth it for OC? I've heard it's more of a nominal benefit at best. Also is the SSD appropriate for an average OS/a few games installation? Last build was from before SSDs were so affordable.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are planing completely watercool your build in the future you shouldn't buy a water cooler like that as it is closed. If you aren't water cooling that's a perfect idea especially for over clocking. Either way it's a really better idea than the stock cooler that comes with the CPU. I usually do a dual storage system. I use a small SSD as boot drive so I can get into the system faster and a larger (preferably 1 TB) HDD to store files and my games. If you get a SSD these day that's higher than 100 GB it costs way too much. I found a 1 TB SSD for $500.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube