add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

review my build and help me choose psu/case

sil3nt_7rill
  • 71 months ago

looking to build my first pc in the near future and i'm new to this so all help is appreciated

this is what i came up with so far

pcpartpicker (idk how to post the build in here)

but i have no idea how to estimate the wattage needed and idk much about cases either

so give me some pro tips/suggestions/anything i can do to cut down the price without sacrificing too much performance

*i don't plan on overclocking

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty great :D

The site provides a psu estimate, it's on the right hand side just above the parts cost, yours says 438w, and you usually want to add 100-200w to that depending on expansion/overclocking plans etc. Prolly something around 550w would be my aim.

As you're not ocing you can drop the cpu cooler, you get one in the box that is perfectly fine at stock speeds.

You can save almost $20 with a different ssd, pny xlr8 is a pretty good spec match iirc.

Seasonic are my goto psu brand/manufacturer, they're usually of a better quality, and I tend to go for a gold rated unit whenever possible, costs more upfront but you save back the upgrade cost via a cheaper electricity bill in a year or 2 then it's all money in your pocket :D

Optical drives are usually available for $15 with a mir/on sale etc

You prolly don't need such low latency ram, tho savings aren't huge I guess...

Define r4 is one of my favourite cases, shame it's not on sale atm, it's been as low as $80-90 iirc, tho that might be without a window.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $198.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $88.79 @ NCIX US
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.79 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1090.50

ram alternate - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

this is my revised build pcpartpicker

i know i don't necessarily need an aftermarket fan, i just figured the cooler the better, and since this is my first build ever i thought i'd get as much experience as possible installing stuff (also it's not THAT expensive)

i went with 650w just to be on the safe side (i figured a good psu is pretty important)

my only other question is on the motherboard. as far as h97's go how's the d3h? how does it compare to the others and what would you recommend. i know almost nothing about motherboards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube