add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just another sub $600 first build

deerhurler
  • 71 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jd4PQ7

Nothing unique here. First build, looking for tips/opinions/ohgodImustbemissingsomething. Looking to stay at or below this price range as an OS is still unsecured (for extraneous reasons).

Planning on using it for general use (internet browsing, music, word processing). Only unusual programs I'll be using are AutoCAD and possibly Reason.

And of course as a low-mid level gaming rig. Not too interested in running new releases on high settings. Still working on a list of old games that my laptop (RIP) couldn't run with it's integrated graphics card. Things like DOW2, Diablo 3, XCOM remake, Chivalry, various steam sales.

As for the thermal paste, I read somewhere that its worth replacing the stock stuff on the cooler. Thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello there

If I was building a sub-$600 rig for the use you're specifying, I think I'd go down a slightly different route.

I would get an i3-4330 instead of the FX 6300. Sure it only does 4 threads compared to the 6 threads of the AMD alternative, but most of the uses you're mentioning are single threaded anyway - and the i3 is much better in this regard. It also uses less power.

This is of course assuming that overclocking is not something you fancy, as this is impossible with the i3 (apart from a tiny bump in BCLK). The AMD will overclock - but then you'd want to look at a decent cooling solution too.

There's no reason to replace the thermal paste on a stock cooler - you won't see much improvement from spending on this.

I would get 8GB of RAM instead of 4. For most tasks, 4 will do okay, but for games, AutoCAD, and Reason, I believe 8GB might come in handy.

Apart from this, I'd leave the build as is (apart from the optical drive, where you can get a Samsung equivalent for $5 less).

This would be my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $126.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ECS H87H3-M3(1.0) Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $41.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.70 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card $129.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $47.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $32.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $544.59

It might be worth it to spend a little extra on the PSU. I think the quality of this one should be okay, but the efficiency is low. A bronze or higher rated would be better, but obviously pricier. I'd recommend this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions friend, got some researching to do after work. Would a PSU too far over my est. power usage use unnecessary extra power?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome. I'm glad I can help :-)

A PSU will only use the power it's asked to deliver, so having an efficient 600W PSU will actually use less power than an inefficient 430W PSU. It just has more headroom for delivering even more power than you need,

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube